Supermarkets/groceries/essentials?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 11 September 2012 9.41pm
Hello everyone,

I posted on this forum some time back asking for your opinion on whether I should move to Collinson Walk in SE1 and then finally decided on it! So, I am moving in a few days and wanted to find out where most of you do your groceries/other essential items shopping from. I have heard complaints about how the area lacks good supermarkets. I am really thinking of stuff like washing up liquid, soap etc. What would be the nearest place for me to pick these up from?

Thanks,
Asiya
Tuesday 11 September 2012 10.55pm
Ocado ;)
Zoe
Wednesday 12 September 2012 6.51am
Tesco on Great Suffolk Street, near the Southwark Street end, plus the shops the other end of Great Southwark Street (at your end).

For bigger stuff, Asda and Tesco on Old Kent Road or Tesco at Surrey Quays, or Waitrose over Tower Bridge. I think there's a Waitrose at Canary Wharf that people here use, as it's on the Jubilee line.

There is also a Tesco on Borough Road, that might be closer to you when I think about it.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 6.57am
Hi and welcome to the area!

There's a small Sainsbury's on Borough High Street and a tesco on Long Lane, but I can't think of any large supermarkets nearby. The nearest by bus would be Morrisons on Walworth Road (bus no 35 or 40 from Borough High St)

The Elephant shopping centre is worth exploring - there is a Tesco there of reasonable size, and lots of independent stalls and shops. It looks tatty but there are some interesting shops.

Hope you'll be very happy living in SE1.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 9.34am
Watch out for the smaller versions of the supermarkets charging more for the same item as in the big store. I haven't noticed it with Tescos but small Sainsburys, like the one on Borough High Street is a lot more expensive that a large one.
If you cycle then it's easy to use the large ones. I'm on Snowsfields but I regularly use Sainsburys at Nine Elms.
If you check on mySupermarket you can sometimes find bargains. When I first started looking at it I was surprised how often Sainsburys beat Tesco and Asda.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 11.22am
Thank you for all your replies and the warm welcome! I work near Holborn, so I can always pick up food stuff from here before going back home. It's the little things (like cleaning stuf) that I was more worried about. I suppose the smaller Tesco and Sainsbury's that you mention will be ok for that.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 12.28pm
asiyaislam wrote:
It's the little things (like cleaning stuf) that I was more worried about. I suppose the smaller Tesco and Sainsbury's that you mention will be ok for that.

I get a home delivery on or near pay day for heavy items like laundry powder and bottles etc. Then shop locally for lighter items that are easy to carry.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 12.37pm
Asda on the old kent road is good, but I use Lidl for stuff like that. Lidl rocks in my book :-). You just need the 21 bus to get there - 5/10 mins depending on traffic

Welcome to the area
Wednesday 12 September 2012 12.50pm
I use Tesco on OKR for big shops once in a while and day-to-day shopping at a Tesco Metro - I stick with Tesco for the Clubcard points!

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Wednesday 12 September 2012 1.22pm
Indeed, the Tesco Metro in Tooley Street is far better than any of the Tesco Express stores - in terms of choice and price.

I, too, use both OKR and Surrey Quays. The C10 will take you to the latter.

Welcome to SE1, asiyaislam :-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: