Contrasting SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 8.37am
Something that made me quite pensive walking through BM this morning - a young lady buying a box of Turkish delight, maybe to share with her colleagues, some workers having breakfast at Maria’s Market Café… and an elderly man going through the green rubbish bins, looking for food. Normally I would have offered to buy him a sandwich or something, but I am a bit skint myself at the mo, which for a moment made me think: how close is one really these days to ending up in a situation like that?
Wednesday 12 September 2012 10.04am
I quiet often have moments like that. Sitting on the bus, riding past people, watching people going about daily life.

Always wondering where people are going? off to work/college/school or just wondering around. :)
Wednesday 12 September 2012 12.34pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Something that made me quite pensive walking through BM this morning - a young lady buying a box of Turkish delight, maybe to share with her colleagues, some workers having breakfast at Maria’s Market Café… and an elderly man going through the green rubbish bins, looking for food. Normally I would have offered to buy him a sandwich or something, but I am a bit skint myself at the mo, which for a moment made me think: how close is one really these days to ending up in a situation like that?

I wonder that too. I think the key difference is the lack of a loving, supportive family to look out for you when times are bad. There's been numerous studies which suggest that a large % of homeless people spent time in care or foster homes. For us lucky ones (though I can't speak for you obviously but hope this is the case) we have families who might step in to help if we lose our jobs and hit rough patches. Also addiction plays a large part in causing homeless people to live the way they do, in many cases.
Monday 17 September 2012 4.11pm
Recommend volunteering at Crisis and chatting to some of the people- I found that there are many reasons for homelessness, some of which, but not all have been mentioned.
By getting involved I gained an understanding of the saying 'there by the grace of God go I'. Brought to mind a guy last year on a nearby estate whose wife died, then he was made redundant, then his flat was repossessed and he ended up sleeping in his car.
Only needs the right combination of life disasters and it can happen to anyone.
My fear is that homelessness will increase again now that more people are losing their jobs etc.
Monday 17 September 2012 4.28pm
Glibson wrote:
Recommend volunteering at Crisis and chatting to some of the people- I found that there are many reasons for homelessness, some of which, but not all have been mentioned.
By getting involved I gained an understanding of the saying 'there by the grace of God go I'. Brought to mind a guy last year on a nearby estate whose wife died, then he was made redundant, then his flat was repossessed and he ended up sleeping in his car.
Only needs the right combination of life disasters and it can happen to anyone.
My fear is that homelessness will increase again now that more people are losing their jobs etc.
That's why I sometimes offer food or coffee to homeless people - for a slightly selfish reason as well: I hope it will provide good karma if I ever end up in a similar situation.
Monday 17 September 2012 9.59pm
A guy from Business Action On Homelessness once described homelessness as an effect of 2 or more blows. If our life is a table with 4 legs -
1. personal relationships / Family
2. Job / professional relationships
3. Health - mental / physical
4. material possessions / Home

One leg goes away, the table shakes but the other 3 legs can present a semblance of balance. Take 2 away and its a downward spiral. It still gives me nightmares - to be just 2 stpes away from that man foraging in the dustbins.
On the other hand, that brings humility as well.
Monday evenings...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: