Posh Beggars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 12 September 2012 9.29pm
A young well spoken blonde girl on a bicycle just stopped me as I was walking home to ask me: "Excuse me, do you have a spare pound please?"

I just said "Sorry" wimpily and walked on but WTF?
Who has spare POUND and why would they give it to posh girls on bikes? She didn't need it to get home, she had a bicycle!
Wednesday 12 September 2012 9.46pm
Seems to me this is just another variation of an old scam.
A couple of years back I was approached outside Waterloo Station by a smart, well-dressed young man who said he'd run out of cash and needed to get home. I was in a hurry at the time and said, "Sorry, no." A couple of hours later, when I'd met up with my wife in the West End, I was again approached by a similarly smart young black guy who said he'd lost his wallet and needed a few quid to get home....... Hellooooo?
We just all need to be careful not to be taken in.
Every minute of every day, someone somewhere is working on a new scam to catch out the unwary. Don't let it be you.
Incidentally, I had a call from one of my daughters today, saying that someone had rifled her handbag while she was reading a book on the bus on the way home from work. She is now one 'I-Pad Touch,' and 180 worse off.
These 'tea leaves' are one step ahead of the wariest of the best of us. It's their trade and they'll nick the hole out of your last Polo, given the chance.
Wednesday 12 September 2012 10.54pm
Chalkey I agree, her pitch was so bad though for all her confidence I couldn't see where she was coming from. Why would anyone give a well dressed, well spoken girl on a bike a pound for no explained reason? I'm kicking myself for not asking her why out of sheer curiosity.

There's a guy on a new shiny metallic red mobility scooter begging outside Bermondsey Tube station from time to time in recent weeks who has a slightly better pitch. If he hadn't nearly run me over while brandishing a can of Special Brew while I was walking on the pavement one time I might even have bought it.
Thursday 13 September 2012 8.45am
She could have been using the begging line as an introduction. When I worked in Dalston certain types ladies would approach me in broad daylight and ask for a fag or spare change.
Best begging line I've experienced was a bloke in a shop in Stockwell shaking some keys saying he'd run out of petrol and he needed a few quid to get some petrol?!!?
Thursday 13 September 2012 4.39pm
A woman in Spitalfields once asked me for a light and, when I produced one, informed me she would give "full service" for 38.
Thursday 13 September 2012 5.30pm
I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere along the lines of a misunderstanding which involves the lady mistaking "push biker" for "posh beggar" and hilarity ensuing but I can't think of one.
Thursday 13 September 2012 6.31pm
It sounds like it should have potential Edward.

No I don't think she was working, she was too young, pretty and English.
Plus I'm female.
Thursday 13 September 2012 6.40pm
I was once approached in Times Square by what must have been the world's ugliest hooker. When she asked me if I was looking for a good time I said, "Hardly. I've only got a five-dollar bill."
"It's ok," she replied. "I've got change."
Thursday 13 September 2012 7.20pm
never ever give to beggars.. its the only way, give to homeless charities. but never direct to beggars
Thursday 13 September 2012 7.37pm
boomshake wrote:
never ever give to beggars.. its the only way, give to homeless charities. but never direct to beggars
Never money anyway. I do occasionally offer to buy a sandwich/coffee.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: