Have you lost a wedding ring? An old, old scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 13 September 2012 7.03pm
Ever had someone come up to you saying they've just found a wedding ring, is it yours, oh no they are so concerned that someone's lost it, they'll be devastated blah blah blah. Having convinced you they're a well meaning sort there's then a pause in the conversation before they mention that they're a bit short of cash / lost their train ticket / are in need can you spare a few quid?

I've come across it sooo many times.

There's a charming individual, stocky geezer probably late 40's, short cropped hair, working this scam on long lane, weston street etc. When I gave him a paddington stare from afar and took his photo he legged it. Wasn't gonna pursue him any further as he was much bigger than me and maybe not working alone.

I watched him try it on with four different people, three of whom were elderly. Delightful.
Thursday 13 September 2012 7.18pm
romanian women do this scam abroad,, tend to pick up a ring.. oh you must have dropped this.. do you want it// ETC ETC.. you have to be pretty gullable to fall from any of this clap trap..
Thursday 13 September 2012 7.47pm
I met up with this guy about to do the scam on BHS with a guy just in front of me; as I saw him reach down to 'pick up' said ring, he began his patter offering it the the man who then took it, at that precious moment a police officer came by, and stocky geezer with heavy black, cartoony moustache backed off and his mark wandered off with his ring. I watched him leg it after the bloke once the officer had past.
Thursday 13 September 2012 10.21pm
Boomshake,
The Romanians, men and women, are practising this scam regularly in SE1 and you would be suprised how many gullible people fall for it. I was in the jewellers on Lower Marsh when a woman asked how much the wedding ring she had was worth and she and I were both suprised when the jeweller told her it was only worth tuppence and pointed to the collection he had which had been left by other victims. He told me that hardly any of them admit to having been conned most say that they have found the ring, untrue of course.
It would seem that there are enough gullible and greedy people to make it worthwhile for the conmen to practise their trade. The victims seem to be ashamed of their stupidity and do not broadcast the fact that they have been conned, if they did it might make it more difficult for the conmen to be so sucessful
Friday 14 September 2012 1.07pm
This gentleman was outside Bermondsey Tube yesterday evening. The ring he'd just 'found' was a fairly chunky goldy-looking ring. 18 carats he pointed out. I said I would hand it in to the shop. Then deciding to keep it, he shook my hand and walked off.
Friday 14 September 2012 1.24pm
he is the same fella I posted about on here a while back i think....
Sunday 2 December 2012 2.12pm
Guys

Hope all is well.

I stumbled across your discussion while (dodgy character that I am) I was trying to find who had lost the wedding ring that I had found !.

I advertised this ring carefully on OLX as I feared every idiot and his dog would claim it was theirs. I had one chap who said, oh well it's not mine, but why don't you just give it to me as I'm out of pocket !.

I have paid now nearly 10 (2 a pop each week) to advertise it on OLX to try and get the owner re-united with their ring. I would want mine back ?.

I'm afraid I'm not of the various races you describe, I'm just an old fashioned mixed race Geordie bloke !.

I'll give it until Christmas then I think I'll pawn it to try and recover the funds I have spent on it.

Best.
Sunday 2 December 2012 5.06pm
Thannp1 it could have been lobbed deliberately. I flicked mine into the Thames from Blackfriars Bridge on my way back from the divorce court whilst adding a few choice words for good measure! ;o)
Sunday 2 December 2012 5.22pm
Sell it as scrap rather than pawn it - the price of gold is very good at the moment, 1 gram of 9 carat gold is around 12 and 18 carat is 23. Sell it to a jeweller not to one of those rip-off merchants where you have to send it off by post. Hopefully you will recoup your losses and have enough over for a pint.
Sunday 2 December 2012 5.29pm
Eileen

Good to hear from you.

His loss, trust me.

Who would want to lose his beloved wife, I ask you ?.

It's really strange. I have in my mind's eye someone fretting about it, but weeks after the big event ?.

If it was me, first thing I would have done would be to search google (quite a few sites for lost/found).
I've even paid to advertise it higher up on searches on OLX, Gumtree, craigslist.

The only enquiry has been from some dodgy Indian who having started with my ring/then his wife's insisted it was hers with "a diamond in it" when it has no such thing. Of course I told the t*at where to go.

Have a great Christmas & keep smiling Eileen :).
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: