Tower Bridge Road junction. Again

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 25 September 2012 8.05am
Yet another person has been run over at the dangerous junction of Tower Bridge Road and Abbey Street (not sure how bad).
Now I know a lot of people blame the motorists for all the accidents here, but these accidents are happening with more regularity due to Southwark Council's insistence that any bit of land in Bermondsey must be turned into a high rise block. This has caused every corner to now become a blind spot, and incredibly they even had to reposition the traffic lights to accommodate the block on the corner of Abbey Street.
The answer is not to put a mirror on the corners but to stop building high rise blocks so close to major road junctions, but will the council stop that? No, because of pound note signs, they have the blood of everyone who dies on their hands here but I don't think they care as long as they can get unaffordable 289000 studio flats on any bit of land.
All that will happen is there will be more calls for traffic calming measures, changes to traffic lights, when what really needs to be done is to bulldoze these flats and stop the junction being a blind spot.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 9.20am
Sadly all very predictable... was only a matter of time before another accident. Hope the victim isn't too badly hurt.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 10.51am
Surely pedestrians and drivers are only at ground level, and so any building of 1 story or more will obstruct views? I don't see the relevance of high-rise blocks, it is just the building of any structure that close to the junction that would cause the problem.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 11.01am
There have been accidents at this junction for as long as I can remember. I can remember many times taking my life in my hands trying to cross there and I saw on Sunday driving by there that nothing has changed. It would at least help if the lights were made into a proper pedestrian crossing, rather than just traffic control.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 11.09am
I agree with Guy's street.

Clearly this junction needs a pedestrian crossing.

I am also surprised that more people aren't hit by cars when crossing from the end of Grange Walk into Bermondsey Sq. and vice versa.

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Tuesday 25 September 2012 2.21pm
The buildings are too close to the road. Blind spots all around that junction now. I as a driver know how bad that junction has become, all too tight now.
There was another crash just last Tuesday between a flat bed and a coach there. A pedestrian crossing is not the only answer.
The Council need to stop buildings being put so close to the road, the fact they have had to move a traffic light to accommodate the new build and that it is almost hidden from view is a disgrace.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 2.29pm
I read on the Forum a while back that this junction is one of the priority ones for TFL / Southwark attention (in relation to cyclists), but clearly too late for this victim.

It certainly is a nightmare to cross and sureley a cheap and quick solution would be to do an Oxford Circus type pedestrain crossing where for a minute or so pedestrians could cross to any other point? That would not delay traffic too much on this important and heavily used road.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 2.38pm
what would solve a lot of the problems here is proper light phasing which allows time for pedestrians to cross as at the moment you get no time at all and if you are less able bodied you really do take your life into your hands trying to cross here
Tuesday 25 September 2012 2.54pm
Mark Roelofsen wrote:
I read on the Forum a while back that this junction is one of the priority ones for TFL / Southwark attention (in relation to cyclists), but clearly too late for this victim.
It certainly is a nightmare to cross and sureley a cheap and quick solution would be to do an Oxford Circus type pedestrain crossing where for a minute or so pedestrians could cross to any other point? That would not delay traffic too much on this important and heavily used road.

I think Southwark Street / SBR has a similar solution in place whereby all tarffic lights go red apert fro the pedestrian's who can then cross safely. If it's possible there, I don't see why it shouldn't be possible elsewhere.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 3.27pm
I don't get the 'buildings being too close to the road argument'. If you're trying to cross the road as a pedestrian or on a bike then it makes no difference where the buildings are located. I also don't understand the rant about the council making money from building flats - what is wrong with that? Anyway the council don't make money from most developments and financial gain by any party (including the council) is explicitly excluded from any planning decision in the UK. Section 106 money which the council gets from developers is used for schemes that benefit everyone in Southwark, so I don't think that criticism is fair.

The junction just needs a proper crossing with light-phasing as suggested in earlier posts.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: