S1 Discussion

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 28 September 2012 2.22am
I'm fairly aware as to why we have numbers after the letters in postcodes but what I would like to know is why is there no S postcode?
We have SE,SW,W,NW,N,NE,E plus WC & EC no S.
Does anyone on here know & care to share?
Friday 28 September 2012 7.23am
Apparently there was an S sector till 1868.

Nowadays S = Sheffield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_postcode_area

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 28 September 2012 8.49am
James Hatts wrote:
Apparently there was an S sector till 1868.
Nowadays S = Sheffield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_postcode_area

Sheffield? Sheffield?, No go on, I give up, the Knowledge doesn't extend that far!
Friday 28 September 2012 10.51am
It is odd. An old colleague once shared with me the reason for the numbers in postcodes though. It goes like this:

All the 1s are central - SE1, E1, N1, W1. From thereon the numbers relate, in alphabetical order, to the areas they relate, e.g.:

SE2 is Abbey Wood
SE3 is Blackheath
SE4 is Brockley
SE5 is Camberwell
SE6 is Catford
SE7 is Charlton
SE8 is Deptford

and so on. I think the exception to the rule is SE28, which was an added on postcode and obviously all the non-standard SW99 type postcodes.

The same principle applies for all other London postal districts - SW2 is Brixton, SW3 for Chelsea, SW4 for Clapham etc.
Friday 28 September 2012 10.53am
.. also there is no NE postcodes either its just East London....
Friday 28 September 2012 11.07am
Yes, the original SE postcodes were added in alphabetical order after SE1 and still are up to SE18, (Woolwich.)
When I worked for the old 'GPO,' in the 1960's, the SE postcodes only went up to SE19 and SE20, (South Norwood and Anerley respectively.) They must have been fairly recent additions back then and as London continued to expand, the others were added.
Friday 28 September 2012 11.56am
NE being Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
Friday 28 September 2012 12.14pm
All postcode area in London are in alphabetical order, although the 1s (W1, NW1, etc.) represent what's closest to the centre of town.

Thus

E1 The "eastern head district", i.e. Spitalfields, Whitechapel, etc.
E2 Bethnal Green
E3 Bow
E4 Chingford
E5 Clapton

and so on.
Tuesday 2 October 2012 4.30pm
samlouise01 wrote:
.. also there is no NE postcodes either its just East London....

I just assumed there was because I heard references to north east london in certain conversations but saying that we're all aware of Sarf as well.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: