Drunken driving...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 1 October 2012 2.03pm
Now as one who has always moaned about pavement cyclist ( dont worry James, not to-day!) I was absolutely staggered to see a mobility scooter literally whizz by the window with a middleaged driver and a passenger drinking a can of Special Brew! all on the pavement...before venturing to shop nearby will wait to see if they return...apparently some of them can go 10 miles an hour?

could not stop them by sticking me walking stick out! lol
Monday 1 October 2012 3.27pm
I think it is mad that these mobility scooters can go faster than average walking pace.
Monday 1 October 2012 4.03pm
flipping 'eck Beetroot.. my driver was probably going as fast! I then saw the shot with the carpet carrying scooter...unbelievable! I wonder what the maximum speed these vehicles do and do they need a licence/tax etc. Insurance?

can you be nicked as being drunk on a mobility scooter I wonder? I used to spend a lot of time in selsey and every other shopper used a mobility scooter and some of them seemed fast to me...
Monday 1 October 2012 4.20pm
4mph max on pavements, sounds like your pair were doing more than that.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069852

Though it does say
'You MUST follow the same rules about using lights, indicators and horns as for other road vehicles'
so that must mean do whatever you want.

I'm pretty sure you can't use one if you are not disabled in some way.
Monday 1 October 2012 6.32pm
Unless it was stolen or taken for a spot of joy riding...mind you the can of special brew was glinting in the sun...suppose they thought that was adequate lights! rule 43....:-)
Monday 1 October 2012 8.04pm
mobility scooter + special brew: gives added dimension to the term 'legless'...

(no offense intended to anyone)
Tuesday 2 October 2012 9.31am
Perhaps they were searching for another pub seeing the once great Beehive is going up auction!
Tuesday 2 October 2012 3.34pm
beetroot wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can't use one if you are not disabled in some way.

I think it's only the 8mph ones that you have to be disabled to use... usual driving under the influence laws apply, regardless, though (even though not legally considered a motor vehicle).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: