Southwark Council tree strategy consultation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 4 October 2012 9.05pm
Consultation on how trees are managed.
Friday 5 October 2012 8.05pm
Thanks Paula, that's a useful link.

I must say that the questions in the survey seem to be designed so that no sensible person can say anything but yes, for example, "Do you think that removing trees because they are dead, dying, diseased or dangerous is the right thing to do?"

But on the second page it has some open questions, to which I said:
What do you consider the main issues to be in terms of the way trees are managed and maintained within Southwark?
The continuous loss of large mature trees within private development sites.

What improvements would you suggest that we can make to the way trees are managed in the future?
Where planning applications for new buildings involve the loss of mature trees, make it a requirement that trees are retained, or are replaced with an equal canopy area. And these should be on the site, not on the pavement, or in the park, where the property developer's money is likely to just replace council expenditure, rather than reducing our ongoing tree loss.

I'm a bit of a tree hugger!

Friday 5 October 2012 10.15pm
Southwark used to plant saplings and leave the supports and ties on them and the tie would grow into the bark! I'm a tree lover too!
Monday 8 October 2012 10.21am
I'd like to see more fruit trees planted (free jam!)and more native trees.
Better underplanting.
Less butchering of trees under the asupices of 'pruning'.
More trees of sensible size (I like the idea of canopy area) when location is taken into account.
I shall go and do the survey now.
Monday 8 October 2012 10.49am
i'd posted this in a different, older thread - you can download the council's tree management strategy from here
Monday 8 October 2012 10.50pm
Southwark HATE TREES.
If they are doing a questionnaire it's going to be skewed towards killing as many as possible.
I shall look at it in the faint hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Southwark are career tree killers.

I did the form and told them crown reduction isn't the same as pollarding, and shouldn't be done in the nesting season, and maybe they should stop cutting down trees, and replacing 100 year old cut down trees with tiny saplings with no protection that get destroyed in months as it's a pointless waste of money if not done properly with good trees and metal protection grills as other EU cities do.
I also asked them to name ONE tree in the borough with a protection order on it.

Total waste of time.
Southwark hate trees and the poor excuse for a tree department should just be shut down. They protect nothing.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 4.50pm
friends of surrey square park are asking for your help - tonight, at the planning cttee meeting, the council will be deciding whether to approve the applicationf or a development on sedan way (part of the aylesbury 'regeneration') which would mean destruction of a number of mature trees and the green link the friends group & other local groups & residents have been working hard to create. online petition is here

for background info on this and so many other horror stories, go to our website (as we've been recording the never-ending madness which is the council's attitude to the green spaces)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: