The 'Troc.'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 5 October 2012 11.04am
On the radio this morning they announced that it was the 50th anniversary of the release of the first James Bond film. My mind immediately flashed back to the day when, as a teenager, I strolled past the Tocadero cinema at the Elephant and saw the giant poster on the wall advertising the forthcoming film, 'Dr. No.' Sad to think that just a few short years later that wonderful old art deco edifice was pulled down and replaced by a new, state-of-the-art 'Odeon.' It's a good few years since I was last in that location, but I did notice back then that the Odeon itself had long since gone and been replaced by what looked like an office block.
I recall that the 'ABC' cinema opposite, which was nothing like as grand as the old 'Troc,' remained a cinema for many years after the Troc's demise and I wondered if the building itself was still standing. If it is, I very much doubt that it is still a cinema. Can anyone provide some info?
Friday 5 October 2012 10.34pm
Oh Chalkey, the old Trocadera was magnificent, absolute vandalism to destroy such beauty, and I remember the organ too...:-(when it rose up from the depths as a small child I thought it was magic...:-)
Friday 5 October 2012 11.45pm
Yes, Jan. A lovely old building. Saw some great films there too. I read somewhere that in the days when they also had live stage acts, Buddy Holly and the Crickets were once on the bill. It was 'standing room only' on the night they appeared and the crowd was estimated at 4000!
Health and safety?.....Never heard of it!
Saturday 6 October 2012 11.03am
Bit before my time, but I remember an old timer telling me that he saw ol blue eyes Sinatra there in the 50's.
Saturday 6 October 2012 11.49am
chalkey wrote:
Yes, Jan. A lovely old building. Saw some great films there too. I read somewhere that in the days when they also had live stage acts, Buddy Holly and the Crickets were once on the bill. It was 'standing room only' on the night they appeared and the crowd was estimated at 4000!
Health and safety?.....Never heard of it!

It's a shame the Buddy Holly gig wasn't filmed...

Saturday 6 October 2012 11.59am
Can someone tell me what the 'modern style' of Des O' Connor was?
Saturday 6 October 2012 12.02pm
Wikipedia is always worth a look
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_and_Castle

And The Cinema Museum in Kennington is worth a visit.

The Wurlizter from the Troc at Elephant was in LSBU for a while. Here are a couple of ditties on it.
Taking a Chance on Love
In The Garden

The Trocadero Wurlitzer Trust are installing it in the Troxy in Stepney.
http://www.trocadero-wurlitzer.org/the%20project/project.html

This is the console in the Troxy.
Saturday 6 October 2012 12.17pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Can someone tell me what the 'modern style' of Des O' Connor was?
I wonder as well!
Saturday 6 October 2012 12.23pm
Wow. Apparently, another great guitar hero of mine played there as well...
Sunday 7 October 2012 8.21pm
I only have the vaguest of memories of the Troc but remember the Odeon which replaced it very well. My great Nan still always referred to it as the Troc anyway. We often went there together after school as she loved the pictures. The ABC was never as nice - and sticks in my memory as the place where I had to be taken out of, crying and trembling because the witch had captured Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.

At a later date, when I was about 12, a nasty little herbert in the seat in front turned round and put his hand up my skirt (the seating had a very sharp rake and I didn't see him at first)

The Odeon defintitely was the better of the two, and the Troc must have been amazing. I used to love going to the pictures with my great Nan - she would hoot with laughter through all the comedies. I was reminded of her last night when I was watching Dad's Army - there was a presumably old lady in the audience with a really loud laugh just like Nan's.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: