Warehouse - 55 Great Suffolk Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 7 October 2012 1.19pm
Does anyone know anything about the great warehouse building at 55 Great Suffolk Street? I understand it's listed and has hosted the occasional arts events but can't believe it's being allowed to just decay like this? It doesn't look like there's been any attempts to get planning either in the last ten years. Anyone know what the deal is or who owns it?
Sunday 7 October 2012 3.15pm
I've always been puzzled, if a little glad to see this place remain as is. I had a wander around at the last opening that was there 'Hidden London'(?) and was told one of reasons it remains empty is apparently a thin section of land on which it is built facing Loman St belongs to the council. It you take a look you can see how it juts out on that corner.
Tuesday 6 November 2012 7.30pm
Blackfriars Preservation Society
First ever meeting

Monday 12th November

7.30pm

At the basement of Quentin House, Gray street (waterloo road end) opposite the building site, sign on gate.

For further details please email:
Blackfriarspreservationsociety@gmail.com

How many Victorian warehouses have disappeared over the last year within the Blackfriars area?

How many are currently at risk?

How many local heritage landmarks are being stripped away to make way for bland homogenous high-rises?

Too Many.

Blackfriars interesting unique historic urban fabric is being ripped out and replaced with characterless and soulless buildings, such as Travel Lodge.

It is time to come together, discuss, learn and put together an action plan, to find out what we can do to help turn the tide before it is too late.

Everyone welcome.
Friday 24 October 2014 1.35pm
it's been added to English Heritage's Heritage at Risk register published this week

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7906

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 24 October 2014 4.53pm
I am surprised that this historic warehouse hasn't received the Shad Thames treatment...
Friday 24 October 2014 6.43pm
Someone told me something about the owners recently - wish I could remember. I think it is still in the hands of the same family who had it built. There's still some ancient equipment inside.
Monday 27 October 2014 3.30pm
During the time that it was squatted I got myself invited in so have had a good look around the building - fascinating.
The main reason it hasn't been developed is that there is an almighty crack from top to bottom down the main shared wall.....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: