Incredible Edible?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 15 October 2012 1.19pm
Have Southwark one set up?
Monday 15 October 2012 6.59pm
Not heard of one here but I have a little house on the Calder river in Todmorden, the small west Yorkshire town where it all started about five years ago.

An initiative begun by two local women with no prior experience of organising anything much beyond their own households, it has since - literally - blossomed worldwide.

The principle is to commandeer underused public land (council/waterway/railside/whatever) and plant veg, which anyone can pick for free. The scheme now includes eggs and other produce but is still run just about solely by volunteers.

You can see the basis of it as soon as you step off the train. Planters at the station contain all manner of herbs, which you can just snip at and take home to use in that night's dinner. (Or tea, if we're being northern about it - they'll have had their dinner hours before...)

It's great: Incredible is the right word. Sadly I won't be spending much time there any more as I'm about to rent the place out (my flat here too) and move to Devon.

Could it transfer easily to an urban environment, though? I'll leave that for discussion!
Tuesday 16 October 2012 11.33am
Oh Boroman that sounds absolutely lovely..and teatime to me is in the evening too..lol an old cockney!

Trying to visualise it being here in central london, my soppy daughter was paying fortunes on rosemary until I pointed out that it was growing outside Tescos at surrey quays..and the pretty blue shrub growing in the garden was one and the same!
Monday 22 October 2012 6.05pm
In the Southwark Council Tree Survey i suggested that they consider planting fruit trees with vegetable/herb unerplanting. Why not add your voice?
Tuesday 9 July 2013 8.43am
http://www.incredible-edible-southwark.org.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: