St Thomas Street station works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 October 2012 12.35pm
Obviously rebuilding the train station at London Bridge is a huge deal, but is closing both lanes of St Thomas Street necessary when the 310m building next door only required one lane closed for almost all of the construction time?

This morning as the pedestrians barged past each other on the one already insufficient thin pavement, one lane of the road was seemingly being used as a private car park for the contruction staff. Lucky them!

With Tooley Street such a mess with utility works at the moment there is surely a better more coordinated way of managing road closures?
Wednesday 24 October 2012 1.33pm
I heartily agree, that pavement is dangerously congested, particularly when people with crutches and sticks have to negotiate it to gain access to Guys, and able bodied pedestrians are too busy looking at their mobiles to notice. Oh I forgot, there won't be a bus stopping that close to Guys after Christmas. Just to make it even more difficult for disabled.
Something strange that I have noticed, is the mass of people walking away from the station along St Thomas Street guess it would be eastwards towards Bermondsey Street - where are they all going?
Wednesday 24 October 2012 1.55pm
Glibson wrote:
Something strange that I have noticed, is the mass of people walking away from the station along St Thomas Street guess it would be eastwards towards Bermondsey Street - where are they all going?

Bermondsey Street probably.

More seriously though, perhaps they are using it as an alternative route to get to More London?
Wednesday 24 October 2012 2.29pm
I can't imagine they are going to work at the Southwark Council offices, otherwise they would surely have reported how bad it was to whoever is responsible and efficiently done something about it...
Zoe
Wednesday 24 October 2012 10.02pm
The roads around London Bridge are just a nightmare. I can't believe TFL has allowed the roads to be closed in this way, when they insist the movement if cars is the the most important thing they do, at the expense of cyclists and pedestrians.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: