Mint Street: why has Southwark closed another road?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 28 October 2012 8.01pm
I'm just wondering why Southwark council has closed Mint Street at the junction with Weller Street. Very much like the closure of Lant Street just another example of pointless bureaucrats closing vital roads.

Related news & features

Monday 29 October 2012 9.19am
They closed it off for traffic, not for pedestrians. I cross this road every day with my children and I would say that 90% of traffic was generated by people trying to avoid the traffic lights at Marshallsea road. Given that a lot of children are playing in the park and Charles Dickens school is down the road it certainly does make sense to close off the street.
Monday 29 October 2012 10.09am
Is it a permanent closure?
Monday 29 October 2012 10.11am
It's an 'experimental' closure till 2014:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/file/7504/mint_street_experimental_road_closure-public_notice_dated_16_august_2012

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 29 October 2012 10.13am
They have put in permanent bollards so I suspect so.

During high traffic in the mornings it does turn into a rat run to avoid the traffic light at Marshalsea Road and Southwark Bridge Road.
Monday 29 October 2012 1.00pm
I think it's all about getting a balance right between drivers and pedestrians. We all want safety for our kids who play in Mint Street park but, busy parents still need to be able to drive their families in Southwark.
Monday 29 October 2012 1.23pm
billreese wrote:
busy parents still need to be able to drive their families in Southwark.

No they don't.
Monday 29 October 2012 2.03pm
Beetroot's right.

Most households in Southwark don't have a car (still waiting for 2011 census results, but it was 65% in 2001).

Unless you've a disability, or regularly need to move someone who does or a lot of stuff for your trade, having a car in Southwark is a luxury, not a 'need'.

You might want to look at this: Living Streets - Walk to School
Monday 29 October 2012 2.43pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
Beetroot's right.
Most households in Southwark don't have a car (still waiting for 2011 census results, but it was 65% in 2001).

Unless you've a disability, or regularly need to move someone who does or a lot of stuff for your trade, having a car in Southwark is a luxury, not a 'need'.

You might want to look at this: Living Streets - Walk to School
I agree. I share a car. Before that I was with Streetcar. I only use a car about 10 times a year, so owning one is a cost I can easily do without.
Monday 29 October 2012 2.56pm
The closure of Mint Street has come about as a result of local residents, particularly those living on Mint Street, and there are many, petitioning the local council for its closure. Steadily, the volume of traffic using Mint Street had increased,turning it into a very busy rat run, used by those trying to avoid the traffic lights at the junction of Marshalsea Road and Southwark Bridge Road. The noise was also becoming a huge problem,day and night, with cars, vans and mororcycles beeping their horns and revving their engines, not to mention the amount of pedestrians who nearly got knocked down trying to cross the road, and yes there were many. All very well and good if you dont live on the street and just passing through but not for us residents who had to endure the problems that this traffic caused. We will be petitioning for permanent closure.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: