Tooley Street (by the Magistrates' Court)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 29 October 2012 9.46am
I was walking down Tooley Street towards London Bridge yesterday when I witnessed a street robbery opposite the Magistrates' Court.

A young student was walking along, talking on his iPhone when a youth wearing a purple Willis hoodie rode past on a bike and snatched the phone from the young student's hand.

As I had turned round, I witnessed the whole thing. It looked like he was patting the victim on the back. The robber then turned left onto Tower Bridge Road and disappeared out of sight.

I thought I'd share this with you so that others can be aware and take precautions.
Monday 29 October 2012 6.09pm
Some months ago I saw an office guy just after his phone was stolen in same way and also on Tooley St. It seems that these thieves are disappearing into the council estate that lies just to the south of Tooley St. where as usual they are apparently untraceable. So much for the wonders of social integration. I was also once mugged on bermondsey St. by someone who clearly lived in a council estate just off it, as he tried to get me to go into it, although i refused. it's like living in a shark tank, they can run free while everyone else has to just hope they don't get eaten.
Monday 29 October 2012 9.04pm
vicd wrote:
Some months ago I saw an office guy just after his phone was stolen in same way and also on Tooley St. It seems that these thieves are disappearing into the council estate that lies just to the south of Tooley St. where as usual they are apparently untraceable. So much for the wonders of social integration. I was also once mugged on bermondsey St. by someone who clearly lived in a council estate just off it, as he tried to get me to go into it, although i refused. it's like living in a shark tank, they can run free while everyone else has to just hope they don't get eaten.

Seeing as you obviously knew what the culpit looked like and clearly knew where he lived,can we assume this resulted in an arrest?
Monday 29 October 2012 9.36pm
Sarcasm i assume but illogical since obviously i dont know what someone says when they are wearing a hoodie, when it is dark and when their skin colour is dark too. Sorry if thats not PC but in both cases I refer to the skin colour was dark and the hoods were up.
Monday 29 October 2012 9.37pm
Correction: it was meant to say what someone looks like, not says.
Monday 29 October 2012 9.38pm
And obviously they are moving quickly and in one case threatening to kill you if you look at them, so perhaps kindly reconsider your sarcasm if thats what it was.
Monday 29 October 2012 9.38pm
thanks Gavin - I live v near to where this happened
Monday 29 October 2012 11.10pm
I saw the exact same thing happen a few months ago on Tooley St. At that time I had noticed a lot of yourhs cycling along the pavements, getting quite close to people. Seemed to have died down during the Olympics (more police around), but have noticed a lot of kids hanging around the area again. Just this evening I dodged one youth cycling directly towards me on the pavement.
Tuesday 30 October 2012 9.31am
There was a couple of discussions on the subject a few months ago, as nat_ash says. It did seem to die down over the summer, so a shame to see they are back on the scene. The darker nights don't help, either.
Wednesday 31 October 2012 12.17pm
As a woman, I find the darker nights much more daunting. I love the area, but I'm feeling increasingly unnerved just walking back from the station early in the evening!

I think the same advice still stands: If you see anything, report it to the police, even if it seems minor. The more they hear about it, the more they know it's a problem. It is worth letting the safer neighbourhood teams know too.

Also exercising common sense and not making yourself a target.

I understand that police resources are tight, and being used to patrol these areas might not be the best use of the resources they do have, but some presence is reassuring to the public and off-putting to these little so-and-so's.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: