High Towers in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 31 October 2012 5.04pm
I cant keep up with the amount of skyscraper towers that are proposed, planned, or actually going up in the area. THere seems to be a serious amount and alot of renders floating about of massive invasive shiny towers. Is there anyone that can list them so we can work out what is actually happening? Also how tall is the One Tower Bridge development going to be? Will we still be able to access the river or is it going to be more privatised? It all looks SUPER ugly
Wednesday 31 October 2012 8.29pm
Should still be able to access the river, but I imagine the park will have more shadows where folks currently can enjoy the sun!
Wednesday 31 October 2012 8.48pm
why complain? if you look across the rest of the country where noone wants to build anything we should be rather grateful we live in a city that is actually turning unwanted and disused sites into places where people live...
Wednesday 31 October 2012 9.26pm
I remember working in Shand Street 15 odd years ago and popping over to Potters Fields Park at lunchtime. It was all pretty derelict back then compared to today. More London looked spectacular tonight with all the illuminated offices, if you like that kind of thing (I do, I love living in a truly BIG city) and I honestly can't decide whether I prefer the way it was or the way it is... What I do know is that I want the endless building sites to end to finally enjoy the streets again. Too much disruption, too much dust and noise and too many menacing lorries.
Wednesday 31 October 2012 9.39pm
Hi I'm not complaining just asking for a clearer picture of what is happening
Wednesday 31 October 2012 10.29pm
there is a meeting tomorrow to discuss Linden homes proposals for Blackfriars Road, which include a tall block. the meeting follows a recent first meeting of local residents who oppose the plans and are anxious about large-scale changes going on in the Blackfriars area and what the implications are for the local community and for local heritage. convened by Nelson Gardens Association, there are people from Blackfriars Peabody Estate, Webber Row and Styles House TRAs, and all our welcome. the more people involved the better - it would be great if you were able to come along.

details below

Meeting to discuss the Linden Homes plans for 169-172, 173 Blackfriars Road

Thursday 1 November 7pm

Nelson Square Gardens Community Association Hall, 60a Rowland Hill House, Union Street SE1. (Ground Floor Rowland Hill House, next to the Nelson Pub)

Following our first meeting, concerned local residents are holding another meeting about the plans and action that can be taken. Councillors will be attending.

The first meeting raised many issues including:
Poor design
Height and overshadowing
Lack of community facilities
Inappropriate housing for local needs
Appropriation of estate gardens for the development
Loss of historic buildings and local heritage

Nelson Square Gardens Community Association and Webber and Quentin Tenants and Residents Group have convened this meeting.
Please come along and make your views heard.
Wednesday 31 October 2012 10.49pm
hetty wrote:
there is a meeting tomorrow to discuss Linden homes proposals for Blackfriars Road, which include a tall block. the meeting follows a recent first meeting of local residents who oppose the plans and are anxious about large-scale changes going on in the Blackfriars area and what the implications are for the local community and for local heritage. convened by Nelson Gardens Association, there are people from Blackfriars Peabody Estate, Webber Row and Styles House TRAs, and all our welcome. the more people involved the better - it would be great if you were able to come along.
details below

Thursday 1 November 7pm

Nelson Square Gardens Community Association Hall, 60a Rowland Hill House, Union Street SE1. (Ground Floor Rowland Hill House, next to the Nelson Pub)

Following our first meeting, concerned local residents are holding another meeting about the plans and action that can be taken. Councillors will be attending.

Poor design
Height and overshadowing

Nelson Square Gardens Community Association and Webber and Quentin Tenants and Residents Group have convened this meeting.

Thanks, I'll try and make it.
Wednesday 31 October 2012 11.33pm
hetty wrote:
details below

Thursday 1 November 7pm

Poor design
Height and overshadowing

Hetty, I have sent you a private message concerning this meeting. Thanks, Merlin
Thursday 1 November 2012 1.22pm
Julia, I would indeed challenge anyone, even at Southwark Council, to be able to list all the names and roads of the skyscrapers proposed in Southwark, it's mind boggling and they also change owners and appearance pre and post planning.

I would suggest the following:

- visiting the City of London's permanent exhibition at the Guildhall with a massive and beautiful scale model (constantly updated since the 1970s and parts of it light up). They've seen fit to include much of the South Bank which is good of them. http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/business/support-promotion-and-advice/city-marketing-suite/Pages/the-city-of-london-model.aspx

- a slightly less detailed model across the whole of inner London and the Olympic Park is at the Building Centre in Store St, WC1 (http://www.buildingcentre.co.uk/galleries/galleries.asp)

- look at the Mayor's planning decisions (he gets involved in anything over a certain height/floorspace/significance, so it's quite an easy list to filter through): http://www.london.gov.uk/mayoral-planning-decision/planning-decisions-relating-lb-southwark

- Peruse the various forums at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/

Also the Bankside Neighbourhood Forum have regular meetings that probably help to gain an understanding of the many new buildings proposed.
Friday 2 November 2012 1.09pm
Colino what excellent advice! Thanks
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: