Drying rooms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 2 November 2012 9.31am
In view of results of studies published today where it is advised that housebuilders have designated drying areas in new builds, I wonder if the 8 per cent of social housing will have dryings rooms like their counterparts in the thirties! Most council blocks had drying rooms and there was a key to lock them so no one good pinch the washing!

Apparently ..according to the experts...washing drying on racks/airers/radiators produce damp air..good Lord what a surprise, and mould could damage your health, never knew that..TIC..
Friday 2 November 2012 10.11am
We still have drying rooms in Devon Mansions, though they are long since redundant. In some flats, they have been subsumed as a second bedroom but there are at least two in every block that are just sat there empty.

We've recently had new doors put on them and they would be ideal for residents to store things, but I don't think the council is receptive to that idea. Perhaps, given the study that you've read, Jan, they should be reinstated.

Lots of council estates used to have launderettes in them too, but I think the last of them disappeared in the 1990s. Shame really.
Friday 2 November 2012 10.34am
We have a couple of these drying cupboards in our small estate that have been closed off for decades. My elderly neighbour told me they were drying cupboards/pushchair storage that the council closed off in the 80's when they removed the asbestos. A few months ago, I asked our housing officer if we could rent it out as storage but she did not even know it existed. She came round to see it but obviously they cannot locate the key. I am still waiting to hear back...
Friday 2 November 2012 10.47am
I think a similar situation exists here, Connie. By the looks of things, the guys replacing the doors had to use force to even open the doors they were replacing.

However, some residents obviously had keys because, until a few months back, they were obviously used for storage by some tenants and notices were affixed to the doors telling them to remove belongings before they were removed by the council.

In other parts of the borough - e.g. Dulwich - some of the old launderettes and drying rooms were converted into new flats, creating new homes.
Friday 2 November 2012 11.05am
I remember the drying rooms were a fair size, and had no windows, well the windows had no glass in, just bars to allow the air to circulate, if they are still not being used for the purpose it's a shame Gavin. Connie my friends Mum had a small kitchen and had a drying cupboard that was heated and had long rails that you could pull out! really forward thinking for the architects of that time, that was in 1961.. and in the fifties another friend in her tiny council kitchen had a cupboard that you would open and a ironing board could come down, I nagged my Mum to see of she could move into a flat that had a 'magic' ironing board.
That flat was in Newcomen street.
Friday 2 November 2012 12.17pm
I was convinced drying my washing in my tiny flat was making me ill (sneezy and coughy) so I bought a dehumidifier. Can definitely recommend.
Friday 2 November 2012 3.41pm
I have been looking for a drying rack that could fit my flat's banister as there is a large gap between the stairs and the banister. It's such as waste of space and all the racks on the internet are very small and cheaply made. I remember as a student living in a house in Scotland that had a pulley drying rack in the kitchen. That was very inventive.
Friday 2 November 2012 6.35pm
Draper House has drying rooms, at the north end of the corridors, they were switched off a few years ago.
Friday 2 November 2012 9.17pm
I saw a pulley operated clothes airer recently, in a trendy supplement Connie, Victorian Clothes pulley it was described as, great simple idea, my Auntie had one in Brunlees house strung up in her bathroom. will have a scout around to see if I can find the mag.
Friday 2 November 2012 9.26pm
They have 6 lath victorian airer pulleys at Castinstyle
reduced to 53 pounds, and a 4 lath one a bit cheaper.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: