Yet another Sainsbury's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Monday 5 November 2012 10.46pm
Zappomatic wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Instead of all those small Sainsbury's on every street, which are useless to residents (well, this resident any way) I still regret that one big one that was supposed to be built near Blackfriars. There's an Itsu opening on Southwark Street as well. We are more and more turning into Victoria Street.

Funnily enough, in the last couple of months Victoria Street has lost both its branches Sainsbury's due to redevelopment.
I only knew the one opposite House of Fraser and it was big enough to do a decent midweek shop, as opposed to the pointless little one scattered around SE1, where I only buy milk and alcohol.
Tuesday 6 November 2012 8.28am
On the Webber Street junction is Express Supersave Food and Wine - it doesn't bode well from them - who are a local business -
Tuesday 6 November 2012 10.15am
The Express Supersave are brilliant. If they don't have what I want they will get it in - and some things that I want are pretty diverse! There's always service with a smile and nothing is too much trouble. The shop is regularly cleaned - and I mean down on hands and knees with a rag and bucket- and they have a good range of products. I can even get a free Evening Standard in there, plus topping up my Oyster with any amount I want, not a set amount like the tube station. You don't get any of that in grotty Sainsbury's. Support Express Supersave - Charlie and his team deserve your custom!
No connection, just a happy local shopper.
Wednesday 7 November 2012 9.13am
DebraG wrote:
The Express Supersave are brilliant. If they don't have what I want they will get it in - and some things that I want are pretty diverse! There's always service with a smile and nothing is too much trouble. The shop is regularly cleaned - and I mean down on hands and knees with a rag and bucket- and they have a good range of products. I can even get a free Evening Standard in there, plus topping up my Oyster with any amount I want, not a set amount like the tube station. You don't get any of that in grotty Sainsbury's. Support Express Supersave - Charlie and his team deserve your custom!
No connection, just a happy local shopper.

exactly the kind of business that should be supported and copied. If you accept the no-service offer at Tesco Metro/Sainsbury Local, then you help wipe out independent businesses. Customer service in this country is appalling because customers accept it. A previous poster stated he/she refuses to use self serve tills - more people should do this IMO, or we deserve to end up with sterile, impersonal retail experiences where you can do your entire shop without any human interaction - something I suspect the big retailers would be happy about.
Wednesday 7 November 2012 11.50am
well for one, I would like to see a "BIG" supermarket come to the area. not any more of these stupid little local's or expresses. they never stock everything you are looking for and the next nearest (large) supermarkets are pretty far when you don't have a car.

Instead of letting these retail giants take all the smaller units, find them a space for a large supermarket and free up the smaller retail premises for starter businesses.

Anyone know who regulates this? or is there even a regulative body?
Wednesday 7 November 2012 1.04pm
samlouise01 wrote:
Anyone know who regulates this? or is there even a regulative body?

The local council, in this case Southwark, are responsible for planning on both a strategic level (ee here for Southwark's Core Plan) and in relation to individual planning decisions.

The Mayor is responsible for the London Plan which sets out the strategic plan for the whole of London. Borough plans must generally comply with the London Plan.
Thursday 15 November 2012 9.29pm
I hear so many stories about Friars House, the most consitstant being that there is going to be a new large Tesco.However I am reliably informed that there is no planning application in for change of use in Friars House
Friday 16 November 2012 10.20am
4 Pack of Napolina peeled plum tomatoes in Asda 2
Same 4 pack in Sainsburys BHS 5-38. I checked my receipt on the way out of Sainsburys and thought it was a mistake so went back in to check the price and it was correct.
Now I don't mind Metro branches chaging a little extra but that's ridiculous.
A single box of Kleenex mansize in Sainsburys costs more than a twin pack in Tescos.
I usually only go to the BHS Sainsburys for bread, milk and the occasional items missed on the weekly Asda shop.
Friday 16 November 2012 1.33pm
phoney wrote:
4 Pack of Napolina peeled plum tomatoes in Asda 2
Same 4 pack in Sainsburys BHS 5-38. I checked my receipt on the way out of Sainsburys and thought it was a mistake so went back in to check the price and it was correct.

Hope you asked for a refund, that is outragous!
Friday 16 November 2012 5.02pm
phoney wrote:
4 Pack of Napolina peeled plum tomatoes in Asda 2
Same 4 pack in Sainsburys BHS 5-38.

In a proper Sainsburys branch that same pack is 2.44. I stopped using BHS Sainsburys ages ago. It's not far to cycle to Nine Elms. If you can be bothered to check http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ you might be surprised how often a normal Sainsburys is cheaper than Tesco or Asda. Depends what you buy though obviously.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network