Yet another Sainsbury's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Friday 16 November 2012 7.18pm
I have been avoiding the BHS Sainsbury as some prices there are significantly higher than even Tesco Long Lane,
Sunday 17 February 2013 10.26pm
Apparently Sainsburys are very close to agreeing a lease at the empty unit at 18 Great Suffolk Street - yes, directly across from the Tesco Express!
Monday 18 February 2013 12.27am
If true, this is absolutely ludicrous. Much though I resent the continued empty space this is simply a sign of market forces taken to obscene lengths.
Monday 18 February 2013 10.30am
This thread seems to be generally about the Waterloo area but can I put a word in for a privately owned supermarket on Southwark Park Road ? The St James supermarket is fantastic, it has a bakery and a butcher, a really great range of fresh veg and because it is Turkish owned, an amazing selection of honey, yoghurt, olives etc A Tesco Metro opened up opposite about 18 months ago and by comparison the service, product range and value is as dreadful as you'd expect. I shop in there at least twice a week. It's muchg easier to support a local business when they are genuinely better than the competition.
No connection etc.
Jac
Monday 18 February 2013 11.30am
southwarkSimon wrote:
This thread seems to be generally about the Waterloo area but can I put a word in for a privately owned supermarket on Southwark Park Road ? The St James supermarket is fantastic,

Agree I always pop in there when I am down that way and never leave empty handed. If it were closer I would go more often
Monday 18 February 2013 2.59pm
southwarkSimon wrote:
This thread seems to be generally about the Waterloo area but can I put a word in for a privately owned supermarket on Southwark Park Road ? The St James supermarket is fantastic, it has a bakery and a butcher, a really great range of fresh veg and because it is Turkish owned, an amazing selection of honey, yoghurt, olives etc A Tesco Metro opened up opposite about 18 months ago and by comparison the service, product range and value is as dreadful as you'd expect. I shop in there at least twice a week. It's muchg easier to support a local business when they are genuinely better than the competition.
No connection etc.

That's good to know - we've just moved round the corner and I've been going to the Tesco on SPR and not overly impressed with the range. I've seen the St James Supermarket but not looked in yet - I will do on my next trip for supplies.
Thursday 21 February 2013 12.21am
"Unexpected item in bagging area"

Nothing that means more "self service checkouts" is good for anyone.

Except possibly shoplifters. I haven't tried so I don't know.
I just really hate those stupid machines and if we are having to do our own "checking out" - how the hell aren't we getting paid the checkout wage for it?
I mean I'm having to work as a checkout girl just to get food, why aren't I getting paid for it???
Thursday 21 February 2013 2.07pm
I had to laugh, they drive me mad too. Next they will be expecting us to stack the shelves! Surely they should offer a discount if we are doing the work ourselves?

Generally I avoid using them, partly because I don't want to put some poor sod out of a job - albeit minimum wage or workfare - but also because I usually want something behind the counter - cigarettes or alcohol.

The worst place at the moment is the Sainsburys on Waterloo Road. They have a policy of shouting and badgering you to use the self service checkouts. Sad to say I actually emailed Sainsburys about it. I don't want to go to a shop and be shouted at - I want to shop in peace - it's not an 18-30 holiday where they nag you into participating and 'having a good time'. The reply from Sainsburys was, of course, non committal. The policy hasn't changed!

Last week I lashed out at some poor girl in there. I'd waited in the queue and when it was my turn I moved to indicate I was waiting for a cashier. It was quite obvious, but she did the company shout regardless. I politely asked her if she thought I looked blind or stupid - considering it was obvious that I wanted a cashier. She was kind of stunned and said that it was company policy (to nag people). I kind of felt bad afterwards, as it wasn't her fault.
Friday 22 February 2013 11.27pm
I don't go to Sainsbury's at Waterloo any more for that exact reason - all that shouty stuff and bossing about, just for a loaf and a bag of carrots. No thanks. Greggs in The Marsh on the other hand employ nice staff who have a joke with you while serving up a decent slice of bread pudding and the man on the veg stall has decent priced carrots. Sainsbury's, you are the weakest link. Goodbye!
Zoe
Saturday 23 February 2013 7.53am
I too have been shouted at by the staff in Sainsburys on Waterloo Road and The Cut. If it's company policy it's not a good one, as it puts me off going and I have been cycling to the M&S on Southwark Street if I want something treaty or get off my arse and go to Walworth Road.

I might have to stretch myself and go to Southwark Park Road as I love Turkish food and like to support independents. If it was a bit warmer I would stop off at Bermondsey Square and buy some expensive sausages. Bloody weather.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network