Yet another Sainsbury's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Thursday 9 May 2013 11.43am
Sainsbury's now confirmed:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6810

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 May 2013 1.43pm
And now another on is to open on Long Lane ... just how far can we stretch our pound?
Friday 24 May 2013 6.26am
GaryWM wrote:
Apparently Sainsburys are very close to agreeing a lease at the empty unit at 18 Great Suffolk Street - yes, directly across from the Tesco Express!
Looks like they have:
http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9549789

Friday 24 May 2013 6.32am
Jesus! I assumed that was a wind-up. There's something mighty wrong with planning applications to allow this kind of nonsense. Developers really need to re-think how they design ground floor units in relation to the overall bulk of architecture. The shell format simply doesn't work for the benefit of those living in the area.
Zoe
Friday 24 May 2013 6.40am
That will be four sainsburys within walking distance. Are they breeding?
Friday 24 May 2013 7.04am
And not a whiff of a Little Waitrose anywhere :-(
Friday 7 June 2013 11.44am
I live on G.Suffolk st. Was there a consulation with residents? I don't recall getting a letter from the council on this...
Monday 10 June 2013 10.58am
CMpic wrote:
Was there a consulation with residents?

None was required.

This unit was original designated planning class A3/A4 (restaurant/bar). This class permits change to class A1 which would cover the shop.
Monday 10 June 2013 11.29am
Truthmonkey is right - the current applications lodged with the council are for the new shopfront, a new ATM and advertisement consent for the signage.

As such, the principle of a new mini-supermarket isn't something the council can take into account at this stage.

You are able to comment on the design of the proposed shopfront etc but there is nothing to stop Sainsbury's (or any other retailer) opening a shop at that location.

Saturday 15 June 2013 12.30pm
Got the consultation papers today for the ATM and shopfront. I wrote to the council for whatever it's worth - but I understand there is not much council can do on what sort of shop opens in there. I would have been ok with Waitrose, but who needs a 3rd (potentially 4th) Sainsbury's?!

Or Sainsbury's could have a proper butcher or baker or fishmonger in there, instead of packed lunches, frozen pizzas, crisps and alcohol! Maybe worth writing to Sainsbury's?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network