Could an 'alcohol-free pub' succeed?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Jamie Wallace Wednesday 7 November 2012 5.41pm
Suspend your disbelief for a minute!

Here's the theory: Even though 21% of men and 35% of women either drink no alcohol at all, or less than one unit per week (DoH stats), you'd be hard-pressed to find somewhere to go out in the evening to have a *really interesting* non-alcoholic drink.

Not talking about a cafe, or a restaurant, or a juice bar, but a relaxed, fun, sociable bar/pub-like place, where you could get a great range of sophisticated/creative alcohol-free drinks: bitter, sour, sweet, savoury, fruity, spicy, clear, long, short etc.

Can't think of anywhere in SE1, or all of London for that matter. As a Waterloo resident, am I spotting a gap in the market, or is there a gap in my thinking...?

Advertisement

connie Wednesday 7 November 2012 6.12pm
I don't drink alcohol but all my friends do so I guess I would have to go to your alcohol free bar on my own...
Jamie Wallace Wednesday 7 November 2012 6.29pm
Yep, people tell me that you'd have to serve at least a few alcoholic drinks too, but that means you've got to tangle with alcohol licensing regs, and it maybe becomes a less straightforward proposition to communicate (though maybe more viable...?).
cathed Wednesday 7 November 2012 6.48pm
I think this is a great idea. I do like a drink, but keep it to one night a week. A bar-like venue that sells soft-cocktails would be most welcome to me and mine. It would be fab to go somewhere and soak up the atmosphere of a bar, but not give in to temptation. If done right, it could also be a good little place for work-place lunches etc...
Auntie Pat Wednesday 7 November 2012 7.03pm
In the late 19th/early 20th century there used to be "temperance hotels" - largely set up by non-conformists like Methodists and Baptists. They were places where you could go and drink minerals (as fizzy drinks were called then) or tea.

I can't drink due to my health, and my best friend doesn't drink becausse he's a Buddhist so we would definitely like to see a booze-free pub.
spartacus Wednesday 7 November 2012 7.04pm
Jamie Wallace wrote:
am I spotting a gap in the market, or is there a gap in my thinking...?

Maybe, but maybe you spotted an article in the Gruaniad (first dry bar) or heard a BBC radio item recently.

Whatever, Brink in Liverpool is specifically aimed at reducing alcohol abuse and temptation for alcoholics, but has the potential for wider appeal.
Jamie Wallace Wednesday 7 November 2012 7.32pm
I've actually been to Brink - it was great. But as you say, I'm wondering if there's room for something with a wider appeal, without being quite so mission-led (though I salute their mission).
Jan the old one Wednesday 7 November 2012 7.45pm
A good idea, whether it be financially viable, I remember in the 80's every pub we went in had music piped at incredible decibel level. Meeting with friends involved either shouting or using a pigeon sign language..the only pub we knew that had no music, no slot machines was called The Porcupine in Mottingham, probably a block of flats. It would be a great idea if all Forum members could rustle up a list of non-alcoholic drinks and put them on here for us to try?
DebraG Wednesday 7 November 2012 9.06pm
We go to Wetherspoons as you can get tea and coffee at a good price. It'd be lovely to have non-alcoholic cocktails and maybe a proper old-fashioned soda pop fountain selling proper non-alco ginger beer, etc. Not everyone can drink because of their health so places to go are quite limited. It would be a great idea but for me the prices would have to be reasonable. Freshly-made carrot juice for less than 2 would be most welcome! And quiz nights, don't forget a decent quiz!
Jamie Wallace Wednesday 7 November 2012 9.09pm
That would be great Jan. What I struggle with is the unsweet end of the spectrum, which is more difficult with non-alcoholic drinks. Once I've had a couple, or even just one, sweet drink, I'm done. Citrus, tonics, bitters, ginger, spice...juniper, cardamom even. Ideas welcome.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions