Transport in your area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
helenlaker@southwark Thursday 8 November 2012 5.38pm
It's not surprising to me that lots of people like myself are taking the bus in from outer London, rather than pay higher train fares. I wonder if anybody else has had to make changes to the way they get about in London?

Advertisement

maurits Thursday 8 November 2012 5.51pm
I use Barclays Bikes about 3 to 4 times a week. Now that Transport for London announced a 100% price hike, I am considering buying a bicycle myself. That would also solve the problem of not being able to use the bikes in the evening because of a lack of docking stations.
james127 Friday 9 November 2012 2.28pm
Yes, I would also consider purchasing a bike. That is an insane price increase -- giving London the world's most expensive bikeshare scheme -- by a huge amount -- even more than NYC, which is entirely privately funded.
Guy's street Friday 9 November 2012 3.01pm
90 for a year still seems reasonable value if you are using it 3 or 4 times a week though.

I always thought 45 was an insanely low starting price.
helenlaker@southwark Saturday 10 November 2012 11.45pm
I know loads of people who use the Boris bike scheme - it still looks like a better deal paying the one-off annual membership, compared to a monthly bus pass for instance, still at 72 - to be increased in the new year of course!

Taking the bus instead of the train is taking up an incredible amount of leisure time. I'm trying to use the time creatively, but my fellow passengers with their mobile conversations are giving me grief! That, and being squashed by others :( But, I enjoy the walk up Tower Bridge road when I get into London! The thought of the calories I'm burning sort of makes it hard to go back to the trains...
Brendan D Sunday 11 November 2012 10.54am
I bought a bike on the bike to work scheme for 60 a month, and save myself 100 a month in spite of this, and I am getting fitter.... Getting on the bike and cycling across the centre of London is sooo much nicer than squashing on the tube or waiting for a non-existant bus!

If you are healthy and live less than 7 or 8 miles from work, there really is no excuse for not considering this.
Zoe Sunday 11 November 2012 1.23pm
I was quite sceptical that I could cycle 7 or 8 miles, until I did it. It's not that far on a bike. However, I probably wouldn't want to do it everyday before work without building up to it a bit.
james127 Sunday 11 November 2012 3.09pm
I don't know -- adjusting for purchasing power parity between the Euro/Dollar and Sterling, 45 was more expensive than European bike share schemes -- by far -- and just equal to US schemes. At 90 / year, we're talking most expensive in the world, by about 50 euros over any comparable scheme, US or Europe.

Bike share, I think, should feel ridiculously cheap, because the positive externalities of cyclists using carbon-free transportation, not taking up space on overcrowded buses (a particular problem in SE1 where buses arriving at TBRoad are stuffed to capacity), and not taking up road space with a car should be rewarded.

If NYC can do an ENTIRELY privately-funded bike share at $95/year (again, DOLLARS) with 45 minute rentals (compared to London 30 minute rentals), then me thinks Boris simply did a bad job negotiating with Barclay's...maybe he should take lessons from Michael Bloomberg about negotiating (Bloomberg got CitiBank to cover his bikeshare at near full cost) and about cyclist infrastructure.

Sorry for a rant, but this, I think, is just a case of Boris not being heavy handed enough with Barclay's...from the beginning of the scheme.
casey Monday 12 November 2012 11.37am
Barclays might have been happier to spend more if people actually called them Barclays Bikes. instead of Boris Bikes. If our glorious mayor had a name that did not start with B it might have been easier.....Perhaps Boris should sponsor them personally since he is getting the publicity, although it th price hike results in unfavourable opinion he might want to disassociate himself a bit......?

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions