Sea Containers House - rubbish on foreshore

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Karen I Thursday 8 November 2012 11.27pm
There are hundreds (no exaggeration) of cable ties lying on the foreshore in front of Kings Reach Tower, presumably dropped in by workmen. I am about to report this to the environment team at LBS, please let me know if there is anyone else I should report this to. I have photographs.

Advertisement

James Hatts Friday 9 November 2012 12.18am
Do you mean Sea Containers House? King's Reach doesn't have a river frontage.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Rob Wilkinson Friday 9 November 2012 1.27pm
Karen, you could also contact Thames 21, who try to get more joined up action on care for the Thames, which seems to be no one authority's clear responsibility. Their website is: http://www.thames21.org.uk/
spartacus Friday 9 November 2012 2.27pm
Also, contact the contractors on site? Obviously not party to the 'considerate contractor' code of behaviour! Perhaps hoping their sins would be washed away....
Karen I Friday 9 November 2012 4.59pm
Of course I meant the Sea Containers House - silly me! I'll get onto it tonight.
Karen I Friday 9 November 2012 8.33pm
Emails sent; Cllr Noakes and Cllr Thornton have already responded so hopefully the contractors will act quickly. I think we need to keep an eye on this company because they have previously been asked to clean up the foreshore.
The Unladylike Ms. Jo Monday 12 November 2012 2.26pm
The Environment Agency is responsible for enforcing this sort of thing. Sorry I am too disorganised at the moment to have their number handy.
James Hatts Monday 12 November 2012 2.32pm
I'm not sure that the Environment Agency deals with things on the tidal Thames - it's probably a Port of London Authority matter.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Karen I Monday 12 November 2012 8.33pm
The contractors have apologised and promised to clean up. Not good enough though as they were asked to clean a similar mess in September. LBS environment team are on their case, as is David Noakes who chairs the Sea Containers Monitoring group. Also got a reply from Thames 21 who asked we keep them informed. Perhaps we can push for a large fine - or community compensation - since polluting the water-ways is a criminal offense. I might suggest this; perhaps we could get them to do something about that boggy bit of grass on the Thames side of LWT.
Karen I Wednesday 14 November 2012 7.24pm
The contractors have been along the foreshore and concluded that there is also rubbish further down the river from the Balfour Beatty works and have suggested 'we set up a collective foreshore team from the Bankside Logistics Group regarding the companies working along the foreshore and carry out joint cleanups in designated areas along the shore to a workable programme'. Glad that they are being pro-active. Thanks to all those who responded so quickly to the emails.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions