Campaign for Safer Roads at Elephant and Castle "Day of Action" Friday 16th Nov

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 13 November 2012 9.41pm
For those who haven't heard, we are running a safer roads at Elephant and Castle campaign driven by the fact that in the past two and a half years, almost 300 people have been killed and injured on the roads in and around the Elephant & Castle. Four pedestrians have died since Christmas 2011. The most recent of these tragedies was the death of 5 year old Hichame Bouadimi, killed by a lorry on St Georgeís Road.

If you have any time do come along to the day of action on Friday 16th November.

Our aim is to collect as many petition signatures as possible from when we start at 8am until the end of the day. The map below shows that we will be based just outside the London College of Communication who have kindly said that we can make use of the space outside the front of the college.

We have asked members of TfL and the GLA to come down to talk to local parents at the end of the school day (at about 4pm) about their concerns about the roads. Around this time a local artist will judge the best poster created by local school children for the campaign. The day ends at 5pm with a vigil to remember all those killed on Londonís roads organised by RoadPeace. Come along and sign the petition or if you have time or pick up a clip board and ask some others to sign.

Do come along if you can.

http://southwarklivingstreets.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/lcc-16nov12-base.jpg

Here's the link to the online petition: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/safer-roads-at-the-elephant-castle.html

Thank you! SE1 Safe Roads (Victoria and Sameena from Borough Babies in conjunction with Living Streets)
Wednesday 14 November 2012 9.05am
Are you sure of those statistics? Doesn't seem right to me? Are you saying 300 KSI in last 30 months?

I doubt anyone's not in favour of fewer injuries. Do your strategies place any emphasis on safe pedestrian behaviour, or is it all about traffic control?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 14 November 2012 12.58pm
Are the road safety team were going to be there as well to talk to the kids re crossing roads and safety near roads (i took my son along to one previously which was useful). Whilst campaigns against speed etc are a good thing as Ivanhoe has pointed out they are only half the story we need to make sure the message is getting through to kids (and their parents to reinforce the messages) as well not just on how to cross roads in safety but not to play near or run out into roads and from a young age
Wednesday 14 November 2012 1.05pm
dee dee wrote:
Are the road safety team were going to be there as well to talk to the kids re crossing roads and safety near roads (i took my son along to one previously which was useful). Whilst campaigns against speed etc are a good thing as Ivanhoe has pointed out they are only half the story we need to make sure the message is getting through to kids (and their parents to reinforce the messages) as well not just on how to cross roads in safety but not to play near or run out into roads and from a young age

The road safety teams should be going into schools like they did years ago. Every morning kids/parents get off the bus by the park and cross the road without walking up to the lights, one day there will be another death. :(
Wednesday 14 November 2012 1.51pm
Seems like the road safety message isn't getting through to everyone.
This picture from earlier today.
Wednesday 14 November 2012 1.58pm
Picture link here:
Wednesday 14 November 2012 2.38pm
Here's another image of today's crash on E&C's southern roundabout:

images

The vehicle knocked over a traffic light right onto a traffic island where pedestrians wait for a green light to cross.

It's a miracle no one was killed.
Wednesday 14 November 2012 3.33pm
There are lots of West African drivers that are illegal or have foreign licenses which are no where near as stringent as UK licenses. The driving standards and conditions of cars need addressing asap. I see so many cars with a light out at the front or rear, and cutting corners, weaving along the road and over markings, and various other dangerous moves.
Zoe
Wednesday 14 November 2012 9.57pm
I strongly support this day of action and I understand that various politicians have been invited for 4pm.

I really don't think it's beyond the wit of man to make the elephant a safe place to walk, cycle and drive. Might be beyond the wit of TFL though.
Thursday 15 November 2012 1.28pm
Thanks for all the comments!
A very good idea to get the Road Safety Team along, especially later on in the day when parents are there with children after school. We certainly aim to either have someone there or at the very least some road safety awareness leaflets from the road safety team to give out.
With regards to the statistics, they were provided by TFL so I can only attest to their accuracy in so far as assuming they would not give out those stats without checking them themselves.
Look forward to seeing you all there tomorrow!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: