Police Stopping Red Light Jumpers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 14 November 2012 11.06am
There were various police on motorbikes stopping red light jumpers this morning around SBR. I was crossing SBR opposite Mint Street when 2 cyclists whizzed through right behind me; within seconds sirens and blue lights went on, two motorbikes shot out or Marshalsea Road and stopped the offenders. They propably only got a warning but it's good to see something is happening. I hope it's not a 1-day action only and obviously it should target everyone, not just cyclists.
Wednesday 14 November 2012 1.32pm
For the last two days they are also hiding underneath the OKR flyover at Bricklayer Arms Rbt. Police motorbike ready to catch red light jumpers, vehicles as well as cyclists.

Saying that yesterday on my way home I saw a police motorbike go straight through a red light at a pedestrian crossing near the Oval tube station. No lights flashing or siren
Wednesday 14 November 2012 2.56pm
yesterday morning (11 am, then just after midday), i saw AT LEAST four cars rush through red lights on walworth road alone. while i, as a (tri)cyclist, stopped and waited.
Thursday 15 November 2012 11.53am
Good stuff! I'm hugely in favour of random 1-day police actions at different junctions, so that people start to think twice about jumping orange lights.

Having said that, I'm also in favour of someone having a look at the dead time which occurs between light phases.

Because orange/red at a crossroads doesn't mean that traffic from the other direction will be on green (in fact, it generally means that there will be a 30-45 second pause before the other traffic is on green), this means that people justify their actions in driving across on orange/red. In effect, the traffic lights are calling "Wolf!".

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 November 2012 12.45pm
I met with the police transport inspector earlier this week, he offered quite an insight into how police are trying to prevent cycle theft:
The red light stops also serve as a way to enable the police to check ownership of the bikes.
Thursday 15 November 2012 12.57pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Good stuff! I'm hugely in favour of random 1-day police actions at different junctions, so that people start to think twice about jumping orange lights.
Having said that, I'm also in favour of someone having a look at the dead time which occurs between light phases.

Because orange/red at a crossroads doesn't mean that traffic from the other direction will be on green (in fact, it generally means that there will be a 30-45 second pause before the other traffic is on green), this means that people justify their actions in driving across on orange/red. In effect, the traffic lights are calling "Wolf!".

I think 30-45 seconds is a bit of an exaggeration, but I know what you mean. There is a small gap to allow for people to miss the lights, but in actual fact it encourages drivers to intentionally miss the lights as they know they've got a few seconds grace to get through the junction.
Thursday 15 November 2012 1.02pm
It all sounds like good news at last.
Thursday 15 November 2012 1.26pm
I'm a daily cycle commuter and I'm all in favour of such enforcement actions - hopefully more effective than my practice of shouting something like "There's a red light back here, d*ckhead" at the backs of my fellow cyclists disappearing down the road.
I hope that we will similarly see some enforcement of the cycle reservoirs/ASLs. Motorcyclists/scooterists are the worst offenders here with - I guesstimate - 80% to 90% riding right up to the ASL if they can get to it. I wonder sometimes whether this is ignorance or willful transgression - any bikers/scooterists on this forum care to comment?
Thursday 15 November 2012 1.51pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
I'm a daily cycle commuter and I'm all in favour of such enforcement actions - hopefully more effective than my practice of shouting something like "There's a red light back here, d*ckhead" at the backs of my fellow cyclists disappearing down the road.
I hope that we will similarly see some enforcement of the cycle reservoirs/ASLs. Motorcyclists/scooterists are the worst offenders here with - I guesstimate - 80% to 90% riding right up to the ASL if they can get to it. I wonder sometimes whether this is ignorance or willful transgression - any bikers/scooterists on this forum care to comment?

I wouldn't say it's limited to motorcyclists/scooterists!
Thursday 15 November 2012 2.18pm
Guy's street wrote:
Sandgrown Dave wrote:

I wouldn't say it's limited to motorcyclists/scooterists!

I wouldn't either, but my observation is that most car/bus/truck/van drivers comply whereas most bikers/scooterists don't.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: