Costcutter - Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
jpm
Wednesday 14 November 2012 11.38pm
Does anybody know what's happening to the Costcutter at Great Dover Street? Over the last few weeks, it's been starting to look very sad, with lots of the shelves empty.

There are also lots of discounts on the goods that are there - this looks to me like they're running down the stock so they can shut the place down, or sell it on to someone else.

It's a great little shop and much better than the other convenience stores in the area, so it'd be a shame to lose it.

Related news & features

Wednesday 14 November 2012 11.44pm
They won't confirm it (they haven't denied it either) but it seems that the Co-operative has acquired a number of local Costcutter stores from the Sunstar Group.

See also this thread.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 15 November 2012 12.03am
Hi . I have spoke with the manager he said the co-operative it's taking over ...
So we just hope it will good for all Neighbourhood ..

Sandra-gill
Thursday 15 November 2012 10.55am
Vast improvement on the never ending march of Tesco Express.
Thursday 15 November 2012 1.07pm
Hay a local co-op, brilliant, wonder if they go back to issuing the small tin coins depending how much you spend...the gas meter man used to find so many in our gas meter, they fitted perfectly into the slot! lol

Seriously does any one know when this will happen?
jpm
Thursday 15 November 2012 4.57pm
Fabulous news!

Lovely though Costcutter is (or has been) I'd be delighted to see a Coop over the road. I can thoroughly recommend their fair trade wines. (and many other things).

Hopefully this would mean the cashpoint machine would turn into a free Coop Bank one.

James - I did see the thread but was so cryptic I could only hope....

Bring it on!
Thursday 15 November 2012 5.28pm
jpm wrote:
...I can thoroughly recommend their fair trade wines.

and they do some lovely, pungent salt and vinegar posh crisps.
Thursday 15 November 2012 5.50pm
Hopefully the Post Office will stay. I wonder what will happen to the current staff of Costcutter. It has indeed been one of the better supermarkets in the area and I found the people running it always very friendly and accommodating.

But, the prospect of a Coop is exciting: they are a nice store.
Thursday 15 November 2012 6.00pm
Hopefully the cashpoint will be free but I have not be that impressed by the Coops I have used (Camberwell, Streatham and Old Street) - the limited range to be expected of small shops but more expensive than Tesco, not that I'm a big fan of theirs either.
Thursday 15 November 2012 6.33pm
My local Costcutter on Tower Bridge Road appears to be clearing the shelves too. No newspapers at all yesterday and lots of special offers. Although when buying the "special offers" they're still going through the till at the full price which has been very common in this store. Always have to point out to the staff that they are reduced.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network