20mph for Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Zoe
Sunday 18 November 2012 9.48pm
Great to see a motion on this at the council assembly on the 28th November. I find it bizarre the way the speed limit changes as I drive around (on streets that seem the same) and I personally believe the 20mph will make the borough safer.
Monday 19 November 2012 8.42am
i agree 20 mph on side roads and near schools but main roads i think should stay at 30mph (unless near schools).There should be more education for both drivers and other road users to make streets safer
Monday 19 November 2012 9.37am
I would be interested to know how the 20mph zones would be enforced.
Monday 19 November 2012 9.45am
20 mph is often an appropriate speed. 5-10 mph is often more appropriate. 30 mph is also appropriate at times.
Why not have an offence of inappropriate speeding, rather than a blanket lowering of limits?
I often travel down Harper Rd, for example. Depending on time of day and day of week, appropriate speed could be anything from walking pace to 30mph.
Problem with blanket low limits is that people recognise that they are blunt tools and so they ignore them. It's not uncommon to follow police cars & minibuses down there who are going at least 30mph (not responding to a call).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 19 November 2012 11.24am
I'd support such a move, but the risk is it may be a bit pointless. The current limit is mostly 30, but speeds on roads like Tower Bridge Road (when not a car-park) are more like 40-50. You drive down TBR at 40 you will be overtaken. Bermondsey Street and the west end of Grange Road already are 20, but no-one obeys it.

I'd rather see the 30 limit actually enforced, which will make a real difference to pedestrians' safety, rather than just introducing signs with '20' on, which risks just being political posturing. But then again it is better than doing nothing...
Monday 19 November 2012 12.10pm
richard_badger wrote:
I'd support such a move, but the risk is it may be a bit pointless. The current limit is mostly 30, but speeds on roads like Tower Bridge Road (when not a car-park) are more like 40-50. You drive down TBR at 40 you will be overtaken.

Does this mean you drive down TBR at 40mph, Richard?
Monday 19 November 2012 2.54pm
We are very supportive of this motion for lots of reasons including less pollution, reduced casualties through improved chances of surviving a hit, reduced breaking distances to respond to emergency situations, children's ability to process speeds of less than 20mph, making the roads more appealing encouraging cycling.
Limits do need to be enforced on the notoriously faster roads, such as those that have been the focus of the Elephant and Castle campaign, through average speed cameras.
Monday 19 November 2012 3.40pm
i thought TFL managed most of the roads?
Monday 19 November 2012 4.08pm
With a few exceptions TfL are only responsible for red routes - the Transport for London Road Network.
Monday 19 November 2012 4.19pm
I found out too late the speed limit on Tower Bridge itself is actually 20mph anyway. Not condoning my law breaking but it turns out that hardly anyone is aware of this and that short stretch of road generates one of the highest totals of speeding fines and license points of any road in London.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network