Reliable Jewellers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 November 2012 4.28pm
Hi all, I've been to numerous well known jewellers over the past couple of weeks asking them to replace the battery in my watch - not such a big job you may think - well you'd be wrong. Every single jewellers from Surrey Quays to Oxford St that I tried all wanted to charge me at least 35 to send it away as "we don't replace batteries!" and then wait approx 2 weeks for it to be returned! How hard can it be! Today however, I found myself in the The Cut, Lower Marsh and popped into the Jewellers "SDV" next door to Boots. I gave him the watch, explaining that a new battery was required. Within 5 minutes he had it replaced, checked over and charged me 5. The reason for posting this is that we really do need to look after the "local independent" shops and areas such as the The Cut, Lower Marsh are being swallowed up by big developers as well as the so called market committee who seem to favour non essential food stalls (aimed at the lunchtime crowd) rather than the old style market stalls that we desperately need back and miss - especially in these austere times. I, for one, will be recommending this jeweller and looking to more local shops (rather than the chain stores) and advise everyone to do the same whenever possible. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Monday 19 November 2012 4.31pm
Thanks for that Marple, I have two watches that need new batteries, 35 flipping quid...there is nothing wrong with making a profit but that seems over the top, even allowing for the shops running costs...
Monday 19 November 2012 11.06pm
Marple wrote:
......rather than the old style market stalls that we desperately need back and miss - especially in these austere times.

Whenever I need a replacement battery for a watch I go to East Street Market. There are 3 or 4 stalls there and they all charge about 5 and do it while you wait in under 5 minutes. Keep it local!
Tuesday 20 November 2012 1.55pm
There's a good jewellers on Borough High St, sorry I can't remember the name - it's other side of the road near Borough tube. I needed some watch links taken out and they did it on the spot for 5 and when I went back a few weeks later to get one put back in as it was a bit too snug they didn't charge me anything. Not sure if they do batteries but would be surprised if they didn't
Tuesday 20 November 2012 2.15pm
This is a bit like the old car spares scam where you could only buy from the manufacturer until it was held to be anti-competitive. But be careful with a good watch particularly one that is waterproof.When sent back to the manufacturers or their agents they will re-waterproof, usually with a new neoprene seal. Only really necessary if you dive deep but you may lose any warranty if that is not done.
My watch is old and I don't dive deep, so I don't care. Thank you for these tips.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 2.51pm
Slightly off topic, but this discussion reminds of the time that I tried to get a battery replaced in a snide Cartier that I had bought for $7.50 on 42nd. St. in New York in the '70s.
I happened to be in Harrods when I noticed that the watch had stopped, their jewellery department said, "We're sorry sir, but we'll have to return this to Cartier as we're not equipped to deal with it."
When I pointed out that it was not a genuine Cartier, they popped the bezel and replaced the battery, I think that it was 12.00, and that must have been 15 years ago.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network