Veg/Meat Box - recommendations or ones to avoid?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 22 November 2012 11.39am
I've been thinking of subscribing to a veg/meat box, in the hope it will make me more inclined to cook living on my own.

I hear good things about Riverford. Does anybody have any experience on this or other companies to share please?
Thursday 22 November 2012 11.53am
I would be interested also in finding out about any good schemes in the area.
Thursday 22 November 2012 4.01pm
we sometimes use abel and cole. Overall they've been ok but lately we seem to have had too many things well past their prime.
You can list items you don't like tho, so even if it's a set box if you don't like carrots they will put something else in. They deliver on wednesdays to se1, sometime in the morning but there is no set time so you may need to give them access to somewhere safe to leave the box.
Generally the quality has been better than supermarket but it is more expensive. Mr pixie has tried some of the shellfish and his sister orders meat and milk from them.

The main flaws if you buy a set veggie box from anyone are that at certain times of year you get a glut of certain products, there's only so much kale anyone can eat.

Somethings such as apples are sold by weight so a kilo of apples could be 5 big apples or 15 teeny tiny apples.

i don't have a car & i don't work 9-5 so i do like the convenience of a delivery to my door. I'm also vegetarian so fruit & veg that actually tastes of something is quite important. I don't get the set boxes as it works out better for me to pick my own stuff.
Thursday 22 November 2012 4.28pm
We have used Abel and Cole for a while and whilst we found them pretty good and certainly good value. There is 2 of us and we bought the smallest box and yet we didn't use it all. That led to rather too much vegetable soup every week, to avoid food waste.
Therefore we decided to buy fruit and veg on Bermondsey Square every Saturday.
Thursday 22 November 2012 5.37pm
I had an Abel and Cole box for a while. Decent quality produce, fair value for the quality, and punctual delivery. But there was always more than I needed and I ended up cancelling my subscription. Since then they have phoned me repeatedly, as well as sending endless mailshots to try and woo me back.
Friday 23 November 2012 11.27pm
Check out hubBub.co.uk they do this but from local businesses like greensmith
Saturday 24 November 2012 1.20pm
I have a delivery every Tuesday from Riverford and I highly recommend them. lovely, varied produce, good customer care (better than abel & cole) and recipes / freebies sometimes too.

No linksetc. Very happy customer.
Monday 26 November 2012 10.19am
I've been using Riverford for years, and I'm very happy with them. You don't have to choose a box - you can pick and mix your own, so long as it comes to 15 or so. Can mean you waste less too. You can give them your keys if you can't be in to receive the delivery. I gave up on A&C - quality deteriorated (though that was years ago).
Monday 26 November 2012 11.30am
I switched from Abel & Cole to Riverford a year or two ago, and am very happy. It's changed the way we cook - a lot more vegetables (obviously), vegetarian one or two nights a week, and a much wider repertoire. Google normally finds a recipe for whatever combination of veg you've got left at the end of the week, that's better than vegetable soup!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: