Will writing in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 22 November 2012 11.53am

I've just been quoted what seems like a ferocious amount of money to write a fairly simple (but not trivial) will by a firm in Westminster.

Can anyone recommend a local lawyer who might take the job on and give me an idea how much they cost?

Thanks, in advance.

Thursday 22 November 2012 11.55am
Phil - I would be interested too if you find out. You might like to post in the "Business" section too.
Thursday 22 November 2012 12.54pm
I used 'Will Aid' a couple of years ago, where you make a donation to charity instead.

Thursday 22 November 2012 1.24pm
I would recommend you look at firms in greater London. Prices vary massively and you can easily get there by train from London Bridge (e.g. Beckenham, Bromley).

I can recommend a firm if you pm me.
Thursday 22 November 2012 2.18pm
My partner and I have just had our will made up by a solicitor in Tooley Street.
It was not as straightforward as what you describe and I must say that they did a good job.
They are Anthony Gold Solicitors, London Bridge Office.

If they are still too expensive to your liking I would have a look at the charity that writes wills for free during the month of November, and in return you donate whatever you can afford.
They are will aid.co.uk

Hope this helps.
Thursday 22 November 2012 4.54pm
Vickt offers some good advice. Use a solicitor rather than a will writer. Price difference isn't that great, but the resultant will will best suit your circumstances and will be written by a qualified solicitor rather than someone who has been on a short training course.
Friday 23 November 2012 2.24pm
Various of the charities offer discounted will writing services, through firms that support them, if you are making any charitable donation as part of your will... I think Amnesty is one example. Shelter may be another.
Friday 23 November 2012 4.14pm
Give it away before you die and enjoy the gratitude of the recipients while you can, or better still, if you are of sound mind, spend the lot.
Sunday 25 November 2012 8.24am
Cheers everyone.

I like your ideas, Phoney.

Dying is the last thing I plan to do. The will is simply an insurance policy to make everyone else's lives easier in the event it happens sooner than expected.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: