Mobile mugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 26 November 2012 11.41am
I found this article really useful, particularly the comments - I will get down to usiing it for my iPhone as soon as I have a spare moment!

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/dial-m-for-mugging--how-to-stop-iphone-robbers-and-keep-your-data-safe-too-8289062.html?origin=internalSearch#.ULI7L5Ihof0.email
Monday 26 November 2012 12.08pm
If only this were a common experience.

A friend of mine who had his iPhone stolen from him recently in London called the police to let them know he had tracking activated and could tell them where the phone was currently. The offered to fax the local station.

Another (yes, iPhone theft is that endemic in London) was told, when she;d tracked the phone to a mobile phone shop in Kilburn that it was your word against theirs.

Don't let this put you off using these common sense measures, but physical security is much more consistently successful that digital tracking.
Thursday 14 February 2013 10.33pm
There have been a couple of phones snatched by lads on bikes in the last week around Shad Thames, be vigilant guys...
Friday 15 February 2013 11.16am
I was walking along Tooley Street Wednesday evening at around 5pm when I saw two white youths on bicycles hanging around that Red Bull place. I found it odd that they were just sitting there on there bikes doing nothing. Moments later they overtook me on the pavement, which was also odd as it was so narrow due to the pedestrians and the building works. They then came from behind a 2nd time and tried to overtake me on the side where I was carrying my camerabag, even odder because there was more space on the other side but then I realised that on that side there was one of those sidestreets leading to the riverside, i.e. what by then I thought was an escape route for them if they'd managed to snatch the bag from behind and cycle off. It seemed timed that way. By then I was quite sure I was being targeted and this was confirmed as I saw them cycling past again, this time on the opposite side of the street, but they then turned around and came back cycling towards me, on the pavement, but nothing happened. Very odd...
Friday 15 February 2013 5.59pm
On Monday night this week coming home from work on my bike I stopped at the traffic lights on the junction of Suffolk st. & Borough high street ( just outside Ruse bar) 2 white lads on black bikes , dressed in black turned into Suffolk St on my side of the road , I new straight away they where trouble, within seconds one of them grabbed a phone out of the hand of a guy standing outside the pub. I gave chase so did the guy who had his phone stolen I shouted / yelled "stop thief" several times , a couple of people outside the pub further up the street tried to stop him but the thief managed to avoid them . The thieves went through a red light and down Webber St. I stopped chasing after this, the poor guy who was robbed was distraught and I could only advise he go to the police station.
Sounds like its the same thieves you saw Edward .
Friday 15 February 2013 7.31pm
glodge wrote:
On Monday night this week coming home from work on my bike I stopped at the traffic lights on the junction of Suffolk st. & Borough high street ( just outside Ruse bar) 2 white lads on black bikes , dressed in black turned into Suffolk St on my side of the road , I new straight away they where trouble, within seconds one of them grabbed a phone out of the hand of a guy standing outside the pub. I gave chase so did the guy who had his phone stolen I shouted / yelled "stop thief" several times , a couple of people outside the pub further up the street tried to stop him but the thief managed to avoid them . The thieves went through a red light and down Webber St. I stopped chasing after this, the poor guy who was robbed was distraught and I could only advise he go to the police station.
Sounds like its the same thieves you saw Edward .
I'll definitely keep an eye out.
Saturday 16 February 2013 8.26am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I was walking along Tooley Street Wednesday evening at around 5pm when I saw two white youths on bicycles hanging around that Red Bull place.

I was chatting outside Potters Fields last night and saw 2 white lads on mountain bikes doing a circuit of Potters entrance, up the street towards TB, across the road and back. They parked up in the entrance and could clearly be heard discussing some fella and his mobile. They did the circuit a couple of times like vultures.

Both wearing blue hoodies, about 17, both about 5 foot 9.
Saturday 16 February 2013 11.39am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Both wearing blue hoodies, about 17, both about 5 foot 9.
//////
Blue hoodies, that sounds like them.
Saturday 16 February 2013 11.44am
I can't believe they keep hanging about the same area, surely its just a matter of time before they get caught....
Saturday 16 February 2013 11.46am
jacksosi wrote:
I can't believe they keep hanging about the same area, surely its just a matter of time before they get caught....
I'll definitely try and take a picture next time I see them.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: