Gertrude Lawrence - local girl

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 26 November 2012 4.17pm
I've just been reading Sheridan Morley 's biography of Gertrude Lawrence (A Bright Particular Star (1986) - reprinted in The Private Lives of Noel and Gertie (1999)): she was born (4 July 1898) at '6 Bath Terrace, Newington' (or at least her parents were living at that address at the time). I hadn't realised she was a local girl. Apparently her father Arthur Lawrence (Klasen) used to play the Demon King in pantomimes at the Crown Theatre, Peckham.

Judging from old maps, Bath Terrace was shorter in the 1890s than it is today - but does anybody know whereabouts number 6 would have been? Shouldn't there be a plaque?
Thursday 29 November 2012 9.42am
Bath Terrace ended (according to the 1896 map on the Southwark website) where the Uxbridge Arms is located. From the Uxbridge Arms was (the now defunct) Uxbridge Street.

Street numbers go from lowest closest to London to highest historically and even numbers on the north sides of the road here. Bath Chambers was present in 1896 (the blocks on the north side which are still there).
Assuming that the only 5 houses on the north side of Bath Terrace were the even numbers 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 it appears that the house would be approximately the bay window of the pub.
Thursday 29 November 2012 10.14am
I remember reading about how brave she was despite being very ill, and had massive bruises on her legs from her costumes before she died...just looked online and saw the elephant and castle described as a dodgy area in the 1898's...how very dare they! I think they should have a plaque up too..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: