Flat Iron Square closed this eve

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 27 November 2012 8.53pm
Anyone know why? Projections on the derelict buildings and lots of security/police. What's the big event?
Tuesday 27 November 2012 9.04pm
Also road closures at Great Suffolk Street from Union Street with diversions in place
Tuesday 27 November 2012 9.17pm
Think they were filming there this weekend

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 27 November 2012 9.31pm
Something Nokia is staging for a couple of day/nights and a few celebs will be there I was told.
Tuesday 27 November 2012 9.35pm
It's some kind of launch/promo filming for Nokia's new Lumia model

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Tuesday 27 November 2012 9.52pm
It's rather annoying that there weren't any warning signs in advance. A bit of consideration goes a long way.
Wednesday 28 November 2012 1.10am
Zoe wrote:
It's rather annoying that there weren't any warning signs in advance. A bit of consideration goes a long way.

I noticed it about a month ago in what I call the 'Legal Notices' section of Southwark News, and it was posted by Southwark Council. Also there have been notices dotted around Flat Iron Square area for the about the last month. They started setting it up at the weekend, installing heavy duty lighting etc and there was loads of security too.
Zoe
Wednesday 28 November 2012 7.30am
I always keep my eyes open for signs and will cross a road to read them so I am surprised I missed them. Perhaps it's like the signs that were put up for the Rotherhithe Tunnel being closed, you physically couldn't read them while driving they were so small.

They should have used the big yellow road signs, you can't miss those.
Wednesday 28 November 2012 9.54am
Yeh, there's nothing like a big yellow metal road sign to make an area look nice.

In all seriousness, I saw the big projections on Saturday night walking back from Waterloo. You could see them from right the way down Union Street.

I was also thinking the other day just how nice a space Flat Iron Square could be if some nice shops/bars/restaurants opened up on the derelict side, and perhaps replaced one of the two convenience stores. I know there will be an Indian restaurant opening there soon, so hopefully that is a sign of things to come - it could be a really attractive little square.
Wednesday 28 November 2012 10.10am
Now the tunnels under London bridge stations are closed, I had to change my cycle route to work through that little square. I was amazed to see a caravan parked there for ages without being towed away. Last week one of the derelict buildings was painted bright orange and now it has been painted over. There were lots of metal barriers and security this morning.
The square is actually quite a hazardous place to navigate with barely enough space for cyclists, pedestrians, the shockingly pink tables for the convenience shop and the construction site for the cafe.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: