Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 November 2012 7.31pm
I have been keeping an eye out and the squirrels on St Olaves estate and the rest of se1 seem to have gone into hybernation... where do they go? L
Thursday 29 November 2012 9.05pm
I hear you on this Lazy i, I walk around Southwark Park, via King Stairs Gardens daily,
I always take a pocketful of nuts, and the squirrels (who appear to recognise me), will approach and virtually eat from my hand, but for the past 2 to 3 weeks they have been conspicuous by their absence.
I still see the occasional one on my rear balcony, they are not dumb, they know where the kind souls that feed them live!
I leave a few nuts out there and they seem grateful.
I have been told that ground squirrels hibernate in winter, but tree squirrels don't, they just huddle together for warmth.
I didn't know that were tree and ground varieties, just grey ones and the rarely seen red ones in Scotland.
Thursday 29 November 2012 9.16pm
Grey squirrels have been particularly active in my garden over the last few weeks, but for the last few days there's been very little sign of them. Could it be that they've heard of the forthcoming Arctic freeze that, (according to the weather experts,) is about to strike?
Maybe they've done their harvesting and have now snuggled down for the winter.

Keep your nuts warm, Tom!
Thursday 29 November 2012 11.18pm
Interesting - so they are hiding somewhere! Will keep a look out and report back!
Thursday 29 November 2012 11.23pm
There are plenty in Leathermarkt Gardens :-)
Friday 30 November 2012 12.46am
There are also white (albino) squirrels. Sadly one was killed by a dog in Brunswick Park recently.

Friday 30 November 2012 1.27am
Last time I saw a red squirrel it was hanging off of my screaming wifes hand at Greewich park,I spent the next 3 hours in the car with the dog while she was in Greenwich hospital casualty,little blighters they are,i've loved them ever since.
Friday 30 November 2012 8.57am
No squirrels again this morning, but I was treated to the sight of a pair of beautiful Jays in the back garden. Another example of the countryside coming to town. Not so many years ago you were very lucky to see Jays and only then if you were in dense woodland.
Friday 30 November 2012 11.14am
I have had one recenty coming to our garden and waking me up with his crying at about 6ish every morning. It is quite a screech actually and I first thought it was a bird in distress (we have a magpie killing lots of birds in our garden).
Friday 30 November 2012 7.22pm
None seen in the bins or the park, but we did clock a very fuffy one on Druid Street this morning!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: