Southwark Council using secret lie detector tests according to the Mail

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 29 November 2012 7.49pm
If this is true it's shameful, disgusting and an appalling breach of civil liberties. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240397/Councils-using-lie-detector-tests-root-benefits-cheats.html
Thursday 29 November 2012 8.18pm
In what sense is it a breach of civil liberties? I don't see anything wrong with it personally. It's not like they're intercepting your post or anything; that would be an infringement of one's civil liberties. I don't think it's shameful or disgusting either; I think it is protecting the public purse in some sense.

They've already said that calls will be recorded and monitored so I don't see why it should cause such uproar. Whether or not it is effective or accurate is another matter...
Thursday 29 November 2012 8.21pm
It is reasonable to expect that when you are talking to someone over the phone that you are not being subjected to a lie detector test that might be used against you. Particularly when you are dealing with a matter of taxation and having to deal with the incompetence which is Capita's service to Southwark Council. I think this is an outrage and the Council should stop this activity immediately.
Thursday 29 November 2012 8.51pm
I have a feeling that you may be in a minority of one on this Tim.
Thursday 29 November 2012 9.23pm
Like ID cards, I think this comes under the, 'What have you got to hide?' category.
I'd be more than happy to provide ID when asked, and to take a lie detector test, if it stopped fraudulent claims on our overstretched benefits system and/or weeded out illegal immigrants.
Thursday 29 November 2012 9.58pm
Ahem

"Claimants who do not speak English as their first language or have hearing or cognitive problems are exempt from the voice checks, along with people without phone access."

So no 'illegals' getting theirs this time eh Chalkey? I'm sure Capita, with their brilliant track record for competence and due dilligence, are exactly the people to trust with this highly reliable method of ascertaining the truth...

Can't wait until HMRC trial this technology when interviewing high net worth individuals about their opaque tax affairs. Insert your own joke here concerning flying pigs & satan ice-skating to work etc...
Thursday 29 November 2012 10.15pm
I don't like the 'No illegals getting theirs this time, Chalkey,' remark!
I've made my feelings on racism very clear on various threads on this site, so don't throw that particular card at me, thank you.
Everyone in this country in possession of eyes and ears knows there is an illegal immigrant problem, but my comment was not using that as a hi-light, merely as an example. Anyone who has nothing to hide shouldn't be afraid of ID cards or lie detectors, whether they're illegal immigrants or high flying tax evaders.
It's a shame, and an indictment of today's state of affairs, when someone cannot make a valid remark without having the race card thrown at them.
What's your agenda on this particular subject, Mikec?
Zoe
Friday 30 November 2012 8.17am
I am really not convinced this technology works and Southwark might be wasting their money. I am suspicious at the stats given on money saved. That's probably the combined number of people they found using lots of methods, like checking the electoral register and experian checks etc.

I liked the comment that those without phones are also exempt, well yes, I would imagine so.
Friday 30 November 2012 9.50am
If it's in the Daily Mail, what are the chances of it being true?
Friday 30 November 2012 10.14am
it's also in southwark news + here's just a quote, 'forensic expert martin barry told the news he knew of no scientific evidence to suggest that analysing someone's voice could indicate whether someone was telling the truth or not.'
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: