Which SE1 pub is your local?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 3 December 2012 6.43pm
I am doing drawings of local pubs and cafes. Do you have a favourite local or cafe? I would be interested in knowing the most popular/different/interesting places to eat/drink for a possible series of drawings.
Monday 3 December 2012 7.24pm
The Horseshoe Inn looks great from the outside. One of my faves that tourists don't find.

Some pics here
Monday 3 December 2012 8.39pm
I have always enjoyed meeting people & drinking in The Windmill on The Cut. The pub has changed over the years but it is at heart a friendly place with a nice welcoming atmosphere. It is well kept and well presented - the photos on the walls are always good to look at.
I also like the fact that you can still pop across the road to place a bet ( rather than in the pub as you could do in pubs at one stage ) ...I know this 'benefit' is not to everyone's taste but the pub / betting shop combination is a nice way to spend an afternoon sometimes !
Anyway I think it is a nice pub & worth recording as is the King's Arms in Roupell Street. I think this is great that it is still a pub & hasn't gone the same way as the florists , the sweet shop and bakers which are the three 'shops' near it that are now houses. Again I am sure it would make a great illustration.

Good luck.
Monday 3 December 2012 9.35pm
Both The Horseshoe and The King's Arms look good to me, although I've never set foot in either of them, I'll make the effort for The Horseshoe now though.
As a Bermondsey boy my youth was misspent in a lot of pubs that are now defunct, e.g. The Horseshoe at the junction of TBR and either Bermondsey St. or Decima St., The Southwark Park Tavern in Southwark Park Rd., The Prince of Orange in Lower Rd.
When I finally hit the big time and could afford to kiss SE1 goodbye and live the dream in Rotherhithe SE16, I was re-acquainted with some pubs that I'd used in the past, and discover some that I was previously unaware of.
You will travel a long, long way to find a cleaner, better run pub than The Ship York in Rotherhithe St.
Just behind it in Gulliver St. is The Ship and Whale, a pub with a chequered history, a great place now, but in the sixties when it was a gay place there were times when I felt a tad uncomfortable there.
The Ship, St. Mary Church St was a fabulous pub in the eighties and early nineties, but it's like a ghost town now, times have changed, sadly.
Monday 3 December 2012 11.10pm
The Wellington in Waterloo Road, a great pub with Great atmosphere,superb interior and the best guvnor in the business
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.20am
The Ring; no contest. been going there for about 4 years. Perfect place to unwind after I have conducted a guided Southwark or City Blitz walk.

Real ale always good. Excellent mulled wine this Sunday. Food excellent!
Tuesday 4 December 2012 9.20am
The Lord Clyde in Clenham Street, looks like how a pub should, great mix of characters and great staff. Maries Cafe in Lower Marsh for a great choice of cheap breafasts or Thai meals and Terrys in Great Suffolk Street for hearty breakfasts and traditional english meals.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 10.24am
It used to be the Rose, but now I'm normally either Simon the Tanner or the Brittania. I've been to the Horseshoe a few times, am not massively keen although don't know why. I've been meaning to try the Victoria on Pages Walk for a while now as well.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 11.51am
I've been to nearly every pub in the area over the years,and quite a few have paintings on their walls.But I always am amused by The old Kings head (Kings head yard)which has a nice watercolour,that makes it look like a street scene from Provence,which is as from the truth as can be imagined.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 11.56am
The Royal Oak on Tabard St. Always.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: