For Pedestrians and Cyclists

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 4 December 2012 12.38pm
Hello All

A van braked hard in front of me today and I flew off my bike just off Wild Rents. A HGV lorry was behind me driven by an absolute poppet who was lovely and helpful. He wasnt going fast. There are proposals to increase the speed limit of HGVs. A very dangerous prospect for our area with the LB development and ongoing flats being built. I encourage you all to fill in this gov consultation especially as HGV usuage I feel has increased in the last few years. I also think of all the parents I see walking kids to school and think it is relevant to everyone (please note I do not wish this to turn into a slanging match like anything on here witht he words cyclist seems to) please do something productive!!

https://consultation.dft.gov.uk/dft/http-www-dft-gov-uk-consultations-dft-2012-34/consultation/intro/view
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.25pm
The consultation relates to allowing lorries to go above the existing national limit of 40mph on non urban single carriageway roads, none of which exist in or near SE1.

I personally think it is best in Southwark to have a 20mph speed limit or rigidly enforced 30mph limit and the council is campaigning for that. And all road users should travel at a speed and separation distance that is safe for themselves and others.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.44pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySs1cEq5rs

Rob Ford, Toronto's ex mayor, prophet, hero, or villain? Discuss.
He said, "Dead cyclists bring it on themselves."
Granted he was talking about Toronto, not London.
Remember, I don't drive a black cab anymore, I'm just a bemused bystander.
Cyclists can run red lights all day long, I'm not interested now.
If they come unstuck I have every sympathy for their families though.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.00pm
Colinio wrote:
The consultation relates to allowing lorries to go above the existing national limit of 40mph on non urban single carriageway roads, none of which exist in or near SE1.

Exactly. This proposal is irrelevant to SE1.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 6.51pm
I am starting to get fed up of cyclists, especially on Tooley Street, they ignore lights regularly and cycle on the pavement if the road is busy. I was swore at by a female cyclist when I pointed out the fact that it was green for pedestrians to cross. This is happening too often then they expect us to feel sorry for them as if they are a special case. I would like to see more punitive measures for cyclists who ignore the rules of the road and pavement!
Tuesday 4 December 2012 7.14pm
We all mistakenly use the term pavement when what we are talking about are footpaths, perhaps if we start insisting that footpaths are footpaths and not cycle tracks, rollerblade rinks or even skateboard parks and badger those whose job it is to keep footpaths safe ( police, councils, councillors and MPs) we may start to get somewhere and cyclists may even recognise they are in the wrong to use footpaths.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 8.34pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
We all mistakenly use the term pavement when what we are talking about are footpaths.

Nope - in the eyes of the law [Section 329(1) Highways Act 1980] it's a "Footway"...

3. Footpath means a highway over which the public have a right of way on foot only, not being a footway.

4. Footway means a way comprised in a highway, which also comprises a carriageway, being a way over which the public has a right of way on foot only. Footways are the pedestrian paths alongside a carriageway, and are often referred to as a pavement.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 9.26am
m0destolafuente wrote:
I am starting to get fed up of cyclists, especially on Tooley Street, they ignore lights regularly and cycle on the pavement if the road is busy. I was swore at by a female cyclist when I pointed out the fact that it was green for pedestrians to cross. This is happening too often then they expect us to feel sorry for them as if they are a special case. I would like to see more punitive measures for cyclists who ignore the rules of the road and pavement!

Yep, but I've been sowrn at by a woman for cycling through a green light, just because she couldn't possibly believe I had right of way as she crossed an otherwise empty road outside the London Dungeon.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 10.38am
and so it descends lol

its a thread about a petition which doesn't apply to Southwark so to be frank maybe it should be allowed to end without everyone getting all worked up about it
Wednesday 5 December 2012 3.23pm
Thanks colinio. I seem to have posted incorrect information.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: