Nelson Square... advice!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.53pm
Hi there,

I am looking for a bit of DIY advice from anyone living in any of the blocks in Nelson...

I am a complete novice so forgive me if this sounds stupid!

I have this wall that seems to be hollow and I wanted to install either an electric or gas (depending on what I am allowed to do) Fireplace.

firstly, does anyone know if this wall (guessing it is the same in all the flats here) is in fact an old chimney? and if so would it be ok to install a fireplace (council rules, piping behind etc)

any advice would be great! thanks

Sam
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.24pm
Just make sure if there was a back boiler behind it originally it was removed. Dangerous situation if a sealed unit, i.e. back boiler is heated...think pressure cooker with no release valve! You could ask if there are any original tenants if they remember having a coke/coal fire that also heated the water when fire was lit..
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.34pm
Thanks Jan, I have taken the grate off and it seems to be solid behind it. I can't see all of the flue because I don't want to knock the panel out only to find out that it is unachievable!

I will ask around to see if anyone knows.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 9.41pm
no idea re: regulations and fittings:

But i pulled a retrofitted gas fire out of my place on nelson square a couple of years back, it was installed into the wall in the living room that sort of sits proud of the wall.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: