Noise disturbances

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 11.04am
Hi all,

For the last 2 days my boyfriend and I have been putting up with excessive noise from the flat above ours. On Tuesday night the guy upstairs persisted in dropping large weights on his floor from half 10 at night to half 2 in the morning.

Now, this morning I'm off work ill and trying to sleep off the bug, but I can't because the guy upstairs is playing loud, obnoxious, base thumping music. I can hear every single lyric of each song. I tried to escape it by going into my living room, but I can hear the music over the tv!

What's the best way to deal with this? The sound proofing in this building is terrible, and I know the man upstairs is rather unreasonable from previous encounters so I don't want to approach him myself.

I'm concerned that calling the noise team might aggravate him too.

Thanks all.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 11.53am
Call the noise team right now.

Do not put up with the racket. Get some advice from the noise team.

Keep a diary of when the noise starts and stops. Rate the noise from 1..10 in your diary.

Councils are determined to stamp out anti social behaviour and if this guy ups his noise to counter your protest, the noise team will be on your side.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 11.53am
Southwark Noise Team

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems/1245/reporting_noise_problems

020 7525 5777

And make sure you keep reporting it and allow them to come to your home so they can hear it.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 12.09pm
Thank you to you both for your advice. I have called the noise team and I'm now waiting for them to call me back.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 12.41pm
Call the noise team as soon as the noise starts again and keep notes of noise level and duration.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 1.36pm
You could try and talk to the people above him,they'll be getting it too,also complain to your estates officer (if social),they may drag him in for a chat and every complaint made will add weight when the noise team eventually catch him at it.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 2.37pm
It's awful how some inconsiderate people can behave in such an anti social way without a second thought for the impact their behaviour has on other people's lives.

nat-ash, I hope the problem is sorted very soon, and I hope you're soon over the bug.

A couple of winters back my wife and I, (and the rest of the street I would think,) were woken up six out of seven mornings at 5 a.m. by someone in a car sounding their horn four or five times. This was no doubt to signal their arrival when collecting somebody and giving them a lift to work. This went on for about three weeks, without any thought for anyone who might have been unwell, any sleeping babies, any parents who may have been up half the night with non-sleeping babies, or just anyone who was simply trying to get a full night's sleep. We knew it was coming from somewhere in out street, but couldn't be sure where. By the time a few of us neighbours had discussed complaining to the police, it suddenly stopped. I still have to shake my head at the mentality of people who do this sort of thing.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 5.21pm
Thanks all. As soon as the noise team called me back, the guy upstairs had mysteriously turned his music down. Once I hung up, he turned it up loud again.

boroughonian - I called the community office who are in charge of looking after the building. I live in a private rent, but the man upstairs lives in a council flat. When they knocked on his door, he turned his music up REALLY loud, so they kept knocking until he opened the door. After that he turned it down and hasn't turned it up since.

chalkey - thanks for your good wishes! I am disappointed that people can be so anti social also. I thought you didn't have to deal with this after you left uni! RE the car horn noises, my parents have had the same problem where they live too!

Unfortunately the only problem now is the fact that the man upstairs is stomping around (potentially in a huff) and I expect will be dropping some more weights this evening...
Thursday 6 December 2012 12.43pm
Keep a diary and also contact the council to make them aware of this issue. Keep ringing the noise team they should come out and investigate. If you can capture any recording on your phone or device that would also help aswel. I'm currently going through a court case for ASB, it isnt nice and has take 5 years to actually get somewhere. The more evidence you have the better for you.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: