Another cyclist hurt by a lorry in Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 7 December 2012 11.23am
I say "hurt" because I really hope this is not more serious, although it looked very, very serious indeed. This morning at around 8.40 a Boots lorry collided with a cyclist near the Dockhead end of Tooley street in the westbound direction. This is the same spot where a 20-year old cyclist died less than a year ago, crushed by another lorry. I didnít see it happen, it had probably occurred 5-10 minutes before and there was an ambulance crew and a couple of police cars at the scene.
Although I donít know how it happened, I can tell you it is right after a chicane around that all vehicles not using the bus lane must use. It is so badly laid out that even buses don't use the bus lane on this stretch of road. If this is the cause for the accident, tfl must act now so that is never happens again.
I hope the cyclist is OK and I won't hear any sad news on this website.
Friday 7 December 2012 12.13pm
there were 5 Police vehicles at the site until noon / road closed so looks like, sadly a fatality
Friday 7 December 2012 12.29pm
My office is across the road, as I came into work the injured girl was breathing oxygen and they were keeping her warm with blankets before moving her onto the stretcher device so here's hoping she is still alive.

Accidents happen here all too often - normally what happens is the cyclist moves from the left hand side of the road to the right had side to continue straight onto the Tooley Street bus lane towards London Bridge. Only on Wednesday did I see another cyclist almost ride into a car doing this, fortunately the car was already ahead of the cyclist and there was no collision. Where large vehicles are concerned this can often happen out of the driver's view, which is what I think happened when that student died some time ago.

I think a long Boots vehicle might be involved this time? It may be that she was on the inside lane simply going left on this occasion - this is simply a guess though, as the police & ambulances were already there before I arrived to the area.

Her front wheel was mangled, I sincerely hope it took the brunt of the impact and she makes it out ok.
AD
Friday 7 December 2012 12.32pm
The air ambulance landed in the playground of St Michael's school to attend the scene - never a good sign.
I hope the cyclist is OK and am not trying to judge what happened, but I want to share these thoughts as I'm quite shaken up today.
I live in Dockhead and drive through the junction most days. I find cyclists ignore the give way sign at the end of the bus lane and carry on in the left side of the road before trying to cut through the traffic to the right side of the road to where the bus lane continues down Tooley Street.
I agree the junction is dangerous but think that if the give way sign was obeyed then the danger would disappear. I tend to drive through there at 5mph with cyclists passing me on my left and right, it's scary.
After seeing the accident I made my way to Tower Bridge. As I drove across the junction with Tooley Street and Tower Bridge Road a cyclist came through the red light from Tooley Street, presumably having just passed the accident. They braked and tucked in behind me and followed me over Tower Bridge Road.
I was quite shaken having seen the accident and was dismayed by this cyclist, so as we drove along side by side at about 10mph I wound down my window and I shouted, 'did you see the accident?', he took out his headphone and said 'what?!'. Obviously I was driving so I couldn't have a chat.
I felt sick all this morning having seen a documentary on BBC1 on Wednesday, heard about the tragic fatality on Commercial Street yesterday, and seen this incident today.
I cycle myself and I try to avoid main roads, I generally drive my car around at 10mph or less in traffic, unfortunately I can only see more and more of these incidents happening.
God help us all!
Friday 7 December 2012 12.57pm
It can be quite a challenge driving slowly when cyclists are around.
Even with the 20 mph zones, other drivers can be impulsive, and then try to overtake. I reckon attitudes will change, but it's going to take a while.
Friday 7 December 2012 1.19pm
This spot is very hairy, I had a long HGV do a u turn just there and across it in front of me as he didn't realize as bikes were allowed down there as well as buses.
Friday 7 December 2012 2.03pm
Tooley St is a nightmare at the best of times with potholes and drain covers of every conceivable variant to be negotiated; it certainly isn't going to get any safer with the current road works and people straining at the leash to cross outside the station at rush hour.
Friday 7 December 2012 2.25pm
I've see lorry drivers traverse London Bridge using mobiles and, on one occasion, a laptop as he trundled along. 13 deaths in London last year, blame assigned to the cyclist in only one example.
Friday 7 December 2012 2.47pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Tooley St is a nightmare at the best of times with potholes and drain covers of every conceivable variant to be negotiated; it certainly isn't going to get any safer with the current road works and people straining at the leash to cross outside the station at rush hour.

Didn't a pedestrian get knocked down walking alongside the roadworks next to the closed part of the road? Think it happened on Monday. I've seen far too many silly people doing this just to cut a minute or two off their commute time.

The roadworks by the station are an absolute nightmare at the moment. They're pushing all pedestrians on to one side of the road, which inevitably leads to overflow and people walking in the cycle lane at rush hour. A serious accident waiting to happen!
Friday 7 December 2012 3.23pm
Of course I don't want to prejudge what's gone on, but the picture in the linked news story (see above) says it all really. Look how close the lorry is to the railings. Driving a 40ft-odd artic that close to the railings (and thus any cyclists on the inside) is surely a recipe for disaster. Thankfully it hasn't had fatal consequences on this occasion.

Just a correction; the location of the accident was Tanner Street (almost outside 136 Tanner Street), not Tooley Street.

Does anyone know exactly what 'remodelling' is planned for this junction - as referred to in the news story?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: