BBC Radio 5 Live - Reception

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 9 December 2012 9.32am
Has the BBC reduced the signal for Radio 5 Live across South East London. I ask the question because I cannot get recent reception on any radio in my flat and it's just as bad in my car when I'm driving around local streets. The only solution is internet radio but this is not always available. Any views?
Sunday 9 December 2012 3.59pm
I live in Essex and Radio 5 Live reception has always been terrible. I just assumed it's because it's still on the old 'Medium Wave,' and why it is in this day and age escapes me.
Sunday 9 December 2012 5.57pm
The present Mrs. Chalkey has just reminded me that I only ever have Radio 5 Live on in the car, and that's why I get such bad reception. Can't see how that would make a difference as it's the only station I have a problem with. All the others I listen to on FM are fine.
Monday 10 December 2012 6.58am
Crystal clear on DAB !
Monday 10 December 2012 3.38pm
The BBC has some handy hints on improving reception - http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/analogueradio/am_reception.shtml

AM/MW doesn't cope very well in built-up areas such as ours. It's designed for distance not agility.

I believe your assertion that they've reduced the power is correct.
Thursday 13 December 2012 12.02pm
Reception has always been bad on Medium and Long Wave stations - especially once it gets dark.

There always used to be "sound effects" when listening to Horace Bachelor & Jack Jackson on gold old "BuxomGirl".......
Thursday 13 December 2012 12.40pm
Skydiver,
If reception is worse when it's dark, then perhaps they should bring back the 'Light' Programme!

(Sorry, couldn't resist it.)
Thursday 13 December 2012 12.58pm
Auntie has a Reception Problems form here.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: