Becky's Dive Bar

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 10 December 2012 5.30pm
Any memories of 'Becky's Dive Bar'? When I was at college in the 70's & real ale was just starting to become a big thing, Becky's was the place to go, a filthy insanitary haunt down dangerous stairs, below the Hop Exchange by London Bridge. Forcibly closed for H&S reasons in 1975.

Address here for an up-to-date history from Boak & Bailey's Beer Blog;

http://boakandbailey.com/2012/07/beckys-dive-bar-southwark/

Everything they say is & was true!
Monday 17 December 2012 2.58pm
If you look at the pillar arrangement of each establishment, I would have thought it's the 'Wheatsheaf' entrance you see in the photograph.
Monday 17 December 2012 3.46pm
I used to play darts there back in the 70s.......
Thursday 10 January 2013 6.30pm
Don't think there's much doubt that 'The Wheatsheaf' is the same premises as 'Becky's', they're both the same address of 24 Southwark St, SE1

Maybe ask The Wheatsheaf if the insanitary spectre of Becky ever manifests herself!
Saturday 19 April 2014 8.23pm
Becky's Dive Bar was around the corner from the Wheatsheaf and has no connection with it. The Wheatsheaf is on Stoney Street in Borough Market. Becky's was in Southwark street under the Hop Exchange (now a wine bar, possibly!?!).

Beckys closed in the mid 1970's, but was possibly the best bar in London for real ale and atmosphere. Entertainment was from her old gramaphone playing 78's with George Formby, War Songs etc. A local folk band "Mopps" (once seen on the TV "New Faces) and visits from members of the London Philarmonic Orchestra for a few bevvy's before a concert at the Festival Hall.

When Becky's closed Mopps could be seen at the Globe Pub in Borough Market and the Loose Vine in St. Thomas's Street near Guys Hospital.

I remember it well!
Sunday 20 April 2014 12.45am
Elephant wrote:
Becky's Dive Bar was around the corner from the Wheatsheaf and has no connection with it. The Wheatsheaf is on Stoney Street in Borough Market. Becky's was in Southwark street under the Hop Exchange (now a wine bar, possibly!?!).

This Wheatsheaf

The wine bar you refer to was a Balls Brothers, before it became the Wheatsheaf.
Wednesday 21 October 2015 8.06pm
I know things have changed since Becky's closed. But does anyone remember the old days pre-1975?
Monday 7 December 2015 12.45pm
I too have fond memories of Becky's Dive Bar - particularly the awful draught beer and the advice to wear wellingtons when descending to the gents. I also share memories of the folk band Mopps - referred to above. I saw them at The Globe - and possibly also at The Loose Vine. They were John Short, Graham Austin and Lionel Heriz-Gent. I bought and still have their tape 'Brewers Dray' which I played over and over in the car in the seventies - whenever I was heading off anywhere in the country to explore a new pub. Does anyone know anything of the three band members.?
Monday 7 December 2015 1.38pm
I have no idea what happened to them - I have been looking for them for years, to book them for some parties. Bit late now - but would be interested. The 3 members you list were their acoustic folk band that appeared on "New Faces". When they were doing electric, like in the Globe, they included Bob the drummer. I also have the cassette "Brewers Dray", also "John Leonard Short Songs" a compilation of John's own songs including "Birkenhead Liverpool" and Manchester Air". Who knows one of the old regulars, like Lawrence, may pick up this thread.

Dave
Friday 22 July 2016 11.51am
Lionel is my dad and is still going strong at 83 and remains active in the world of folk music. He has scaled back in the playing but has a full life non the less. He still plays gigs, festivals etc... Not sure what Graham and John are up to these days but I do remember them practising the music in our front room in London SW11. Fond memories.

Cheers

Sue
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: