Shakespeare's Local

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
spartacus Tuesday 18 December 2012 9.47am
Appears no-one has picked up on this BBC R4 Book of the Week, so I will:

'Pete Brown's history of pubs as seen through the story of one remarkable London inn, the George in Southwark, said to be the one-time local of Chaucer, Dickens and Shakespeare.'

Read by Tony Robinson.

(aaah just noticed twitter, so this is belt and braces)

beetroot Tuesday 18 December 2012 12.49pm
Pete Brown gave a talk on his book at the george on the 4th. It was free too. I couldn't make it unfortunately. Anyone go?
Ivanhoe Tuesday 18 December 2012 1.04pm
I wonder whether the beer and service was as awful way back then?

...if you press it, they will come.
SE Tuesday 18 December 2012 1.28pm
I was nearly put off by the ridiculous introduction, which explained that in order to get to this obscure corner of the world you need to take the 149 bus from Dalston, go through Stoke Newington, cross the Regents Canal and then go south past the Gherkin until you reach London Bridge. And he wasn't saying this is how he gets there, but how everyone should.

However, once you get past that ludicrous piece of North London-centricness, it's really good!
maurits Thursday 20 December 2012 11.46am
I have really enjoyed it.
spartacus Thursday 20 December 2012 5.50pm
SE wrote:
I was nearly put off by the ridiculous introduction, which explained that in order to get to this obscure corner of the world you need to take the 149 bus from Dalston, go through Stoke Newington, cross the Regents Canal and then go south past the Gherkin until you reach London Bridge. And he wasn't saying this is how he gets there, but how everyone should.

Oh, get over your southern sensitivities!

In other news....Tony Robinson is just the perfect choice to voice this book.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions