Short Video - In and around Tanner Street - 1989

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 December 2012 9.35pm
This short video may be of interest to anyone interested in the Bermondsey Street area. Shot back in 1989 before redevelopment of the area got under way.

https://www.facebook.com/BermondseyStreet/posts/425835710815488

Wednesday 26 December 2012 8.51pm
Tanner Street park was managed by a park keeper who also looked after the one in Guy Street. Anyone remember his name?
Friday 28 December 2012 9.45pm
Very interesting - thanks for posting
Sunday 30 December 2012 1.20pm
fascinating - I remember the Sarsons factory from journeys on the train into London Bridge: after the lovely smell of baking from the Peak Freans factory it was quite a contrast!
Zoe
Sunday 30 December 2012 1.52pm
It's like a world that you almost recognise, it's so familiar, but then you see the sarsons factory and wonder what you are looking at!

I particularly like the woman at the start who gingerly walks through the scaffolding, I can see why she was a bit worried, it didn't seem that well put up.
Sunday 30 December 2012 9.58pm
It's amazing that it's so quiet you can hear the birds tweeting!
Monday 31 December 2012 4.05am
I'm nigh on sure that the bank was Lloyds & not Midlands. I knew a fella who broke into it way back when & all he got were a couple of big bags of coppers.
Anyway he'd set off the silent alarms & the police surrounded the place while he was stuck up on the roof so he pelted them with the coins he'd nicked.
Fighting fire with fire ;)
Local kids were scurrying about grabbing them up & created havoc.
Great footage by the way. Any more of the area?
Monday 31 December 2012 11.57am
Definitely the Midland. My account was there until it closed. Interestingly, I just found this link to an old cheque for 25 from 1957 for sale... The bank address is 106 Bermondsey Street. 25 was probably quite a lot back then...I wonder how much it would be the equivalent to nowadays?

http://www.cheque-collector.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1053
Tuesday 15 January 2013 9.08am
Sidney wrote:
I'm nigh on sure that the bank was Lloyds & not Midlands. I knew a fella who broke into it way back when & all he got were a couple of big bags of coppers.
Anyway he'd set off the silent alarms & the police surrounded the place while he was stuck up on the roof so he pelted them with the coins he'd nicked.
Fighting fire with fire ;)
Local kids were scurrying about grabbing them up & created havoc.
Great footage by the way. Any more of the area?

Definitely the Midland. My account was there until it closed. Interestingly, I just found this link to an old cheque for 25 from 1957 for sale... The bank address is 106 Bermondsey Street. 25 was probably quite a lot back then...I wonder how much it would be the equivalent to nowadays?

http://www.cheque-collector.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1053

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: