Sledging in SE1, best spots?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 22 December 2012 7.19pm
Hoping to get some local knowledge ahead of the next snow wave can anybody suggest where to get some sledging action in or around SE1?

The only places that come to mind are the mounds in Leathermarket Gardens but probably not big enough for some serious fun. Or Stave Hill in SE16 but relying on busses in the snow might not work out.
Saturday 22 December 2012 8.08pm
I think Burgess Park is your best bet.

It is 12 Celcius today; don't hold your breath.
Saturday 22 December 2012 8.55pm
Jubilee Gardens is now more undulating than it used to be - might be feasible for beginner-level sledging.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 23 December 2012 7.57am
Blimey is this likely? I guess the weather has gone a bit mad, just as well I bought crampons this year.
Sunday 23 December 2012 9.26pm
Think there's a hill of sorts in the middle of Surrey Quays, and King's Stairs Gardens and a Vauxhall Park are a bit undulating too. All just beyond SE1.

Also suitable for cheese-rolling.
Monday 24 December 2012 11.31am
Quite a lot of sledging at the Oval, but usually in the summer when the Aussies are over
Monday 24 December 2012 1.34pm
Burgess park has the odd incline,but Greenwich is where we used to head.
Monday 24 December 2012 5.10pm
As I understand it, the Oval is the centre for expert sledging in SE1 albeit generally only during the Summer months...;-)
Wednesday 26 December 2012 6.27pm
Ah of course, how could I forget Greenwich Park, albeit depending on SE rail would be hit and miss.

Great to hear on the other suggestions, thanks all.
Friday 28 December 2012 4.52pm
You could catch the boat to Greenwich, and back, from the pier outside The Globe, or the pier at Hays Galleria. A lovely way to get to Greenwich Park - snow or sun.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: