Copper Kettle, Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
WIZ
Saturday 5 January 2013 1.06pm
Hi, can anyone remember the Copper Kettle public house on Tower Bridge in the 1970s.
WIZ
Saturday 5 January 2013 4.07pm
I knew the copper,I never knew it as the copper kettle,we always thought it was the copper because of the police station around the corner and the fact it was usually full of them (off duty of course) i've learnt something!
WIZ
Saturday 5 January 2013 7.38pm
Hi , sorry it seems my memory has played tricks,so it was called the copper, well i done better than my mate who i went to the pub with he could not remember it at all, i dont know why i thought it was called the copper kettle whether the pub sign was of a kettle or there was one hanging from the ceiling not sure, mind you this was about 42 years ago and i was drunk, i also never remember the pub being on the corner, all i remember is going down stairs to a bar or something, did it have a downstairs? or was that in my imagination?
Thanks for your replies
WIZ
Sunday 6 January 2013 12.23am
A copper kettle sign is ringing bells,yes there was a bar out the back,not sure if it was downstairs (i'm as good as you)maybe,I know there were stairs leading down to the back exit,I drank in there for years and never knew about the other bar or exit.
Sunday 6 January 2013 10.49am
I think the Copper is now called 'The Bridge House'
Monday 7 January 2013 1.34pm
FYI - in 1989 it was called The Copper, it is now The Draft House, on the corner of Tower Bridge Road and Queen Elizabeth Street. It used to have a downstairs room which seemed to be used for various things - private parties, comedy/music/plays.

The Bridge House is a different place altogether.
WIZ
Monday 7 January 2013 2.04pm
Hi,Long Term Local
thanks for the info it seems my memory was correct about
the downstairs bar, that makes me feel better, i am still wondering why i thought it was the copper kettle , the only thing i can think of maybe they was keeping the downstairs as a separate issue?
WIZ
Tuesday 8 January 2013 12.58pm
Long-Term Local wrote:
FYI - in 1989 it was called The Copper, it is now The Draft House, on the corner of Tower Bridge Road and Queen Elizabeth Street. It used to have a downstairs room which seemed to be used for various things - private parties, comedy/music/plays.

IIRC, it lost its licence (and stopped being 'The Copper') because of the sort of private parties that were being held downstairs!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: