Old Kings Head, Blackfriars Road S E 1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
WIZ
Sunday 6 January 2013 1.40am
Hi, Can anyone remember the Old Kings Head,Blackfriars Road, i remember going in there in 1971 it was the in pub at the time, my memory is quite clear because there was a couple of first,s that happened in that pub.
They had a small dance floor at the back of the pub i remember everyone dancing but they looked strange ,it was the first time i had seen strobe lighting, the music was deafening and they was playing Rod Stewart singing Every picture Tells a story great stuff, that was the first time i had heard of him.
,there was some good pubs in south London at that, time, i was on a bus going down the old kent road a few weeks back it looks like a lot them pubs i remember have gone now,alas everything is always changing, except me being skint that dont alter,they say money talks all it say:s to me is goodbye.

WIZ
Sunday 6 January 2013 9.48am
The pub is still there, though it is now named lmbibe.

Linden Homes plans to replace it with a skyscraper...
WIZ
Sunday 6 January 2013 10.28am
Hi, Jules62
{ WOW } that,s what happens when you give kids Lego building sets for Xmas

WIZ
Sunday 6 January 2013 5.25pm
WIZ wrote:
Hi, Jules62
{ WOW } that,s what happens when you give kids Lego building sets for Xmas

WIZ

That is a very sad fact...

We can only hope that objections to the hi-rise development are heeded by the planners.
Tuesday 8 January 2013 11.39pm
There is a campaign to have more responsible development rather than the proposed ones, next meeting on Thursday at 7pm!

Nelson Square Gardens Community Association Hall, 60a Rowland Hill House, Union Street, SE1. (ground floor, next to the Lord Nelson Pub)

The campaign needs more active people to run it, do come and put yourselves forward!

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/
Thursday 24 January 2013 10.27am
Read what The Georgian Group has had to say about the plans to destroy this pub: http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/
Thursday 24 January 2013 10.44am
Was that the pub where Russ Conway played Wiz? I remember going to a pub many moons ago and I was told the pianist name was Russ Conway...All these pubs closing means more drinking on the streets, our local used to be a great pub, had collections for the elderly,knew who was born and who had died...unfortunately the recent owner/tenant a few years ago decided to make it a cavernous tavern by ripping all the partitions out, no public bar, no saloon, no 'snug' or offie where kids could buy penny arrowroot biscuits or a glass of lemonade...and here I go again...waffle waffle!
Thursday 24 January 2013 4.24pm
It was the Kings Head in Blackfriars Road Jan, remember my parents telling me years ago that Russ Conway used to play in there. I only went in there once when I first started drinking and was sick when i got home after so it probably scarred me subconciously!
WIZ
Monday 4 February 2013 11.28pm
HI jan, Who,s Russ Conway (only Kidding )that,s interesting to know, it was a bit before my time i only went to the Old Kings Head first time in the 1970s, I did not live around this area i came from Plaistow, but when we were young we used go all over place drinking and that,
one of my favourit pubs over that way was the Apples and Pears, i think it was about 1968 when we went in there,i think that has gone now, i have another connection with the area my wife is from New cross Gate. we used sit in the park at Telegraph Hill great view over London.
WIZ
Tuesday 17 February 2015 5.44pm
I used to go there almost every night in the early 70s. DJ called Brian Flexman played the fab music. Would love to see some pucs
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: