Local police stations

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 10 January 2013 11.51pm
Should we not set up a campaign to stop the closure of a central police station in the area from being a 24 hour station
As a zone 1 resident I value the fact that with many of the bars and clubs etc open until 6am (in some cases) that there is at least a human to speak to
Current proposal will have us go to Peckham
Surely the station on BHS has to remain!!

Related news & features

Thursday 10 January 2013 11.59pm
Yes I think so
Friday 11 January 2013 12.15am
Apparently there was an error in the original list of cuts for Southwark Police and it will be Walworth police station that has the only 24-hour front counter in the borough, not Peckham as originally announced.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 11 January 2013 12.29am
I have in the interim set up an gov on line petition
Takes a few days to set up!
Friday 11 January 2013 5.59am
I'd be interested to hear about any experiences of BHS police station that suggest it's worthwhile.
Friday 11 January 2013 7.20am
I find it hard to get excited about this. I'm sure people want me toget worked up, but I can't see the point of said front desk at the best of times. Whenever I have had the misforture to use it (once in 13 years) I found a huge queue of people I mostly didn't want to be near. Frankly, I felt more at risk of being mugged or assaulted there than any place in my life before. If there was an alternative way that avoided going near the place I'd have jumped at it.

As for the fact there are late night clubs etc. I really do not see the relevance. If I had a problem I'd pick up the phone even when the police front desk is about two hundreds yards away.
Friday 11 January 2013 9.07am
It's psychological as well, isn't... I don't find the thought of closed polices stations very reassuring - as if we are left to completely fend for ourselves.
Friday 11 January 2013 10.54am
I think it's important to be clear that it's the front counter at Borough High Street that is proposed to be closed and not the police station.

The BHS police station is mostly home to the Met's Counter Terrorism units and already doesn't house "regular" police officers. The cells were briefly used to house immigration deportation cases, but have not been used for regular prisoners in some years.

Personal I find little value in the front counter. As others have said, in an emergency it wouldn't be my point of contact. Front counters are usually staffed by civilians rather than police officers.
Friday 11 January 2013 10.56am
It's not an aspect of the plans I have particular qualms about.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: