Footpath closure - St Thomas Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 3.18pm
so now the footpath is closed between bermondsey and weston streets and a detour is in force for the thousands who use this route daily. and for whom? not to benefit the public struggling to and from appointments at guys and travel at london bridge stations but so that the poor dears working for network rail have easy access to the site for the next 6 years ...

shame southwark council!
Saturday 19 January 2013 5.41pm
Yes, it's horrible. It's been bad for ages but now it's beyond a joke.
Saturday 19 January 2013 7.49pm
Another 90 seconds of extra walking, what a nightmare! It's a colossal and highly complex redevelopment project and the old pavement is running alongside what is going to become a very busy building site. A short diversion seems only a minor inconvenience in view of what needs to be done. It's a shame people cant be more positive about this amazing improvement in our transport infrastructure in SE1.
Sunday 20 January 2013 1.06am
Scott77 wrote:
Another 90 seconds of extra walking, what a nightmare! It's a colossal and highly complex redevelopment project and the old pavement is running alongside what is going to become a very busy building site. A short diversion seems only a minor inconvenience in view of what needs to be done. It's a shame people cant be more positive about this amazing improvement in our transport infrastructure in SE1.
It is. I had a very urgent appointment on Friday night after work. To avoid the ridiculous situation on Tooley Street, which normally would be the quicker route to my appointment, I went through St Thomas Street only to find it closed off. Melior St provided a shortcut rather than having to go though Snowsfields, but how badly project managed is this joke of a building project? It's absurd. And for what? The emptiest tallest ghost building in Europe. I heard a rumour Google were going to move into then Mini-Shard, today it was confirmed they're moving to King's Cross.
Sunday 20 January 2013 1.56am
Scott77 wrote:
Another 90 seconds of extra walking, what a nightmare! It's a colossal and highly complex redevelopment project and the old pavement is running alongside what is going to become a very busy building site. A short diversion seems only a minor inconvenience in view of what needs to be done.
That's no excuse for the poor project management that has been symptomatic of the whole project.A sad indication is the number of cyclists falling victim to accidents involving the numerous lorries working on the project and it's only a question of time before a pedestrian gets involved in an accident on Tooley Street as well. Not necessarily the fault of the lorry drivers, as they have to negotiate very badly managed traffic situations caused by the building sites, but it is a mess.
Sunday 20 January 2013 8.14am
Given all the changes round here in the last few years, I am always amused by people moaning about inconvenience from building sites! There is plenty of London outside SE1 if you don't like it. Personally I like having changes to my route enforced, just like during the Olympics. Makes you see things differently, always good.
Sunday 20 January 2013 9.34am
Edward woodward - the closures don't relate to the shard as you suggest, they relate to the London bridge station redevelopment? other than the brick facade along St Thomas Street, all the brick tunnels and arches between St Thomas Street and Tooley Street are being demolished and a huge street level concourse is being produced. Check out the Network Rail website to see the scale of what is happening.

i fully agree the utility works on Tooley St are an ongoing pain, but If you are concerned about health and safety, the closure of st Thomas st pavement and the minor diversion makes sense in view of the intensity of the construction works to come. I imagine there will be a lot of heavy machinery / lorries in action.

Network Rail issue a regular update on street closures and diversions for the coming month to help people plan ahead.
Monday 21 January 2013 11.20am
I agree with the criticisms of those who fail to think hard enough about pedestrians. It's hard to escape the conclusion that the council, builders and others involved see pedestrians as little better than sheep, to be directed at maximum convenience to builders and at minimum convenience to those on foot.

A little thought would go a long way to resolving these problems - which include ambiguous advanced warning signs ("entrance closed" during pre-Olympic period when not clear which entrance would be closed, "St Thomas St closed" when not clear if for vehicles or pedestrians as well. Almost unbelievably, I was told by a London Bridge station manager that the confusing signs in the Olympic buildup were deliberate - at the request of health and safety authorities to see how crowds would behave when they didn't know where to go. Baaa, baaa.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 12.31am
I just saw a sign and chatted to one of the workmen.

Footpath closed till September 2018.

Yep that's right 2018!!

Over five years away.

Better get used to that diversion... Or buy shares in the shops on Snowfields.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 4.49pm
I had not noticed this topic and was faced with the closed footpath late on Monday on my way from London Bridge station to Bermondsey Street.

It was not a nice walk, even less so than before. I found it quite scary to be walking next to boarding, towards boarding, with no idea of who might be lurking behind the buildings near Snowsfields/Melior Place. And I do not think a walk through Guy Street Park and Leathermarket Gardens is any better. I think I'll go the long way via Tooley Street in the future...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: