Chaplin Close Sheltered Housing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 January 2013 7.02pm
In the news item about the downgrading of Chaplin Close sheltered housing to general purpose housing for the elderly, Lambeth Council seems to be saying two things

a) They have more sheltered housing than the borough needs - Can that really be true if the extent of the whole of Lambeth is considered? It might be, but I am surprised by that.

b) A lot of their sheltered housing is not 'fit for purpose' - if so, rather than giving up on it, why don't they do something about it?

This may all be about demography and a change in terminology, does anyone know anything about the issues?
Thursday 17 January 2013 7.33pm
What a shame if this does happen. Do Sheltered Housing units still have wardens and a large communal area?

Are Lambeth Residents aware of Sheltered Housing existing in the first place? And then the same sad story..selling off valuable land deemed to valuable for common old tenants to live in, so they will be 'decanted' into general purpose housing, miles away from any friends or family living nearby who would pop in and visit.

And as for designated elderly housing thats a story I have heard before. Just off New Kent Road, down Meadow Row and for the life of me cant think of the name but will post it later when i remember, there was a small row of flats built for elderly and disabled and within a few years property was allocated to tenants who were neither!

If this scheme goes ahead more elderly, lonely people will exist sadly behind four walls.
Zoe
Thursday 17 January 2013 9.46pm
Sheltered housing just isn't that popular anymore, people want to stay in their own homes. Councils find they can have quite a lot of sheltered housing they can't fill. Some of it also isn't well designed.

I am suprised they can't fill Chaplin Court though, I love living in Waterloo. However I might not when I'm elderly. I don't know how I will feel and I can sympathise with those elderly people who move to Brighton instead!
Friday 18 January 2013 6.56am
Yeah, the drugs are better in Brighton ;-)
Tuesday 11 March 2014 3.01pm
Does anyone know if Chaplin Court still hires out their Community Hall? Can't seem to get a response from the contact details on their website at www.chaplincourt.org.uk
Tuesday 11 March 2014 6.28pm
Zoe,
I am suprised at your comments. Do you have any evidence that the elerly and vulnerable do not favour sheltered housing ? I am sure that they would rather sheltered accomodation than be stuck in hospital or an old people's home.

It seems to me that this is the first step by Lambeth in the process of making Chaplin Close just another part of the general housing pool, then as part of the general pool it is much easier to sell it off "because it is a valuable site and being developed commercially will release money to build even more social housing than we currently have", or something like that.

I remember that Styles House was originally meant to be allocated to middle-aged couples and single people, my how that has changed with young couples, singles and even families being housed in one bedroom flats.
Tuesday 11 March 2014 9.50pm
Styles House was never meant for middle-aged couples; quite the reverse in fact. The first lot of tenants moved in were young married couples and they were expected to live here until they had children; this is the reason there are pram sheds on the estate. I don't know much about sheltered housing though, but I'm also surprised that there is no demand for it; there is outside London. Maybe it's because there's not much point in moving from one flat to another, whereas outside London where people live in houses (generally), moving to sheltered housing (often bungalow or one level apartment)is more appealing.
Zoe
Tuesday 11 March 2014 9.56pm
Hi Bunhouse, it's part of the changing demographics in wider society, with people preferring to stay in their homes and 'old age' being ever older as people are fitter and living longer. Some people do of course prefer sheltered housing, but councils everywhere are finding there is less demand than twenty years ago. The emphasis now is on life time housing, so people's houses are adaptable enough that they don't need to move if they become less mobile.

Why should Styles House only be for middle aged couples, what an odd concept, though it probably made sense in the context in the sixties and seventies.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: