Snow = no school / why?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 18 January 2013 5.13pm
My children are now old enough to be home alone, but when they were much younger and they closed schools from one day to the next due to the snow, the impact in terms of having to take time off work etc was quite serious. My boss was not very understanding and to be honest, I couldn't blame him. Still, the kids got to play in the snow the whole day...
Friday 18 January 2013 5.50pm
I'm sure if you are a little late for work in bad weather, it makes little difference (unless you are the key holder). If a teacher is delayed by bad weather, there will be 30 children waiting outside a classroom. Schools are very small places but densely populated and can be dangerous places if there's not enough adults to supervise. And the little sods will insist on playing in the stuff! And then complaining for the rest of the day that they are wet and cold (in between planning which teacher they are 'gonna get' at lunchtime). Having worked in a variety of schools over the last 33 years I think I could still add up on one hand how many days the schools closed owing to snow. PS I remember replying to a similar post 2 years ago when it snowed!
Friday 18 January 2013 9.52pm
If the weather forecast is snow then the teachers could leave home 30 mins earlier... Simples
Friday 18 January 2013 11.01pm
wouldn't it be lovely if the school was off simply because snow is actually really fun? (not that this is likely to happen ever, anywhere) :)
Friday 18 January 2013 11.36pm
Pros; I agree. Some children in London never get the opportunity to play in snow because we rarely get it.
Saturday 19 January 2013 12.11am
I agree with boroughpaul - just leave earlier, you know the snow is coming and might delay you - this also applies to other jobs and there are always excuses in bad weather - as to why schools close, I really dont get it, I have been to school all my life when it was snowing, the teachers did their best to be there and so where we, you can still play in the snow after school..
Saturday 19 January 2013 9.48am
wasn't there a study recently where it showed that during bad weather the private/public schools opened whereas the state schools closed?
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.26am
Aaron Bowden wrote:
I agree with boroughpaul - just leave earlier, you know the snow is coming and might delay you - this also applies to other jobs and there are always excuses in bad weather - as to why schools close, I really dont get it, I have been to school all my life when it was snowing, the teachers did their best to be there and so where we, you can still play in the snow after school..

"if you don't like it,go and live somewhere else"

now I ask ya,how could I resist that?

Clearly not not from these shores.
Sunday 20 January 2013 11.17am
Sidney wrote:
wasn't there a study recently where it showed that during bad weather the private/public schools opened whereas the state schools closed?

I don't know - why don't you give us a link to it rather than casting unsubstantiated aspersions about public servants?
Sunday 20 January 2013 6.34pm
People who complain about teachers should join this fabulous line of work. There are posters on the underground to recruit teachers.You need a good degree and a PGSE. You also need to enjoy children's company. Tomorrow the school is closed and I will do some marking. Lots of people I know work from home!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network